portfolio
phillian sesinye
dimension zone
soweto, ZA

starting animation studio

good morning cg friends!!!

help... help... help ...help
i really need to open a studio but Iíve got some few issues

1. are there any books concentrating in opening and running a stuodio??????

2. compositing with nuke.

Iím an autodidact when it to 3d max, mari, zbrash, Syntheyes and Headus UVLayout. my problem is compositing in nuke, is very difficult to lean and is been month now and Iím now where. Can I survive with out compositing?????????

Old 10-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

To be honest, I would say you sound ill prepared to be starting a studio. For a start, you should be focusing on an education in business, not compositing.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
philliano

portfolio
phillian sesinye
dimension zone
soweto, ZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
To be honest, I would say you sound ill prepared to be starting a studio. For a start, you should be focusing on an education in business, not compositing.

if i do that will it solve my problem of compositing????

Old 10-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

No, but it'll certainly give you a better idea of how to start a business, which was your first question.

Compositing is important, but if you want to start a studio, the first thing you need to do is understand how to run a business.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #5
gauranga108
Lord of the posts
portfolio
jake mr
makaha, US

Compositing is absolute crucial sorry.

Take your time and really learn nuke, you won't regret it.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
philliano

portfolio
phillian sesinye
dimension zone
soweto, ZA

i really appreciate your help guys. sometimes when you are alone you dont now wich direction to take couse im lerning on my own.thats why i need help to put everything to perspective.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:20 AM   #7
swapnil3d
Veteran

Swapnil Halarnkar
3D Lighting Artist
Kolkata, India

Hi

To do any business , you should have enough experience on the process of which the Business will be of. I completely agree with Leigh that you should learn Business Administration and Composting wont help you with anything related to Business . It will only help if you know the whole Process from Pre-production to post production which includes , Concept , character design , story boarding, Modeling , Texturing , Fur Foliage and Hair , Dynamics, FX and Simulation, Layout and Animation, Lighting and composting, and Editing . Every studio will have its own department to add on or merged. Pipeline can be only understood through experience in Animation Industry and no book can teach you Animation pipeline Process , because you will find people giving you wrong suggestions if you yourself dont know the process practically.

So composting wont help or harm you anything in the business, if at all you learn composting you might not have to depend upon someone to composite for you that's the only help. You have to hire professionals with real good experience to handle different departments , no one can be jack of all tasks, what I suggest that if you dont have time and if you wont have time to waste than go for professionals in each departments and even for Business Administration.
I think Business is nothing but Art of taking right decisions , wish you a great Luck. Dont forget to get socialized and make lots of contacts it will help you a lot.

Regards

Old 11-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #8
Schreibzilla
Schreibzilla

portfolio
Andrew Schreiber
Synthetic Environment Designer
FlightSafety International VSS
St. Louis, USA

You don't have to set up a formal "studio" but you could always get a few friends or co-workers together and decide who is best at what, and start creating high quality game ready models to post and sell on turbosquid or sties like it. There are many so called "studios" that do this and make decent money. I would educated yourself on business and taxes first though because making sure everyone in your "studio" gets their fair share and keeping them happy is just as important as learning nuke and becoming skilled in your field. Hope this helps.
St. Louis, Missouri

Old 01-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #9
daniellemorrison
portfolio
Danielle Morrison
interior artist
Danielle Morrison Studio - Gallery
Central Coast, Australia

Hare 26 things to know before starting a studio business.
photographyconcentrate.com/26-things-i-wish-id-known-before-starting-my-photography-business-part-1/

Old 01-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #10
cgs-john
Veteran
John R.
Provo, USA

Whenever I think of people trying this without business experience, I always think of what happened to Big Idea. A read of what happened there might help you understand the need for some business education before starting. http://philvischer.com/phil-news/wh...ig-idea-part-1/

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread