Is it too late for me to pursue animation?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
Is it too late for me to pursue animation?

Hi everyone!

Currently, I'm a senior in high school and passionate about computer animation. CG films have affected my life in such a profound manner, and I'd really like to share that experience with others.

The problem is my lack of artistic confidence. I've always been interested in character animation for film, but never believed I had the talent necessary to pursue it. (My drawing skills are elementary, middle school level at best.) Finally, I'm learning that talent is actually a pursued interest. And this is something I want to pursue - badly.

All things considered, I'm willing to do everything it takes to augment my knowledge. But I've never worked with CG software, produced quality drawings, or even written a script. It's late to get a portfolio started for college. Where do you suggest I go from here? Will any colleges teach me from scratch, or will I need to take a few years off to self-educate?

Thank you for your time! I really do appreciate it. Hope you're having a great day

Last edited by Alycia96 : 10 October 2013 at 03:36 PM.

10 October 2013
Hi! Well first of all it's never too late)) About education I would recommend you a GnomonSchool - but it's very expensive (at least for me), you can also find very good online courses here in (http://workshops.cgsociety.org/courses.php). And of course you always need to self-educate - read forums and watch videotutorials (for example http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/index.php).
About "to begin with" - if I were u I would watch some introduction to Maya (just to get main ideas how it works and what you can achieve) and once you feel free with a 3d application (it can be also 3ds Max or Blender or XSI, but I believe maya is easier in case of animation, also there're a lot of tuts for animation in maya).
Good luck!

10 October 2013
Hi Alycia,
It is never to late to pursue your dream of becoming an animator.
You do not have to be good at drawing to be a good 3D animator. For sure, it is helpful, but it is not absolutely necessary. If 2D / traditional cel animation is your goal then drawing well is an essential skill. It is a skill you can master with a lot of study and practice.
There are colleges that will teach you from scratch. AnimationMentor is one such college. I know this, because I used to teach their introduction to Maya course and you need no prior knowledge of 3D software to take this class. No prior knowledge of animation is required either, and they do take high school graduates. There must be many other colleges for you to explore, I just happen to be most familiar with this one.
Best of luck,
Kristina

10 October 2013
Indian Studio taking people on Production Training !

Hi Alycia !!

We are a Studio who is based in India , wants to work with real quality and passionate Artist around the Globe , we have a Production Training Program which will be for 8 Months ..

We will be taking people who are completely novice to the Animation Industry
please visit www.sealionstudios.com

Thnx and Regards

Swapnil Halarnkar

( Technical Supervisor Sealion Animation Studios )

10 October 2013
It's certainly not too late, nearly every school can provide the structure you may need. I was like you before I went to art school where I hadn't drawn or developed that skillset too much before college. To give me a little boost I enrolled in a drawing portfolio development course to help shake the dust off and give me content to show schools. It helped me improve a bit and get artwork to send out for placement or admittance at least. Many schools do push for having traditional training as well as digital, this is because artists that have some strong traditional skills benefit greatly on the digital side as well.

10 October 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread