Going to school for programming instead?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
Going to school for programming instead?

I'm thinking about my education and I'm wondering if rather than go into school for something like "game art", I could go in for programming instead.

I see people develop their own tools, and handle advanced aspects of various programs.

Lets say for long term interests and since (according to what I've read) going to school specifically for Digital art or Game art isn't entirely useful compared to self teaching. I could go to school for programming instead.

Is that a useful long term skill to be trained in? Is it useful for the jobs I might take?

I certainly wouldn't be doing this for an alternate career goal, but as a more meaningful college experience. And do my own training and practice on the side.

I think its clear to me that a college degree has its benefits long term. Considering i might want to work in another country if given the opportunity.

But I don't want to spend that time wasting my time, on something I could do on my own. And instead spend that time learning a new skill that could greatly benefit my main goal.

I know the field evolves very quickly, and i wonder if at some point programming knowledge will be more necessary or more needed.

I'd love some insight here.

Google+ | Twitter

09 September 2013
It sounds like you just need some confirmation that you should go to school for programming instead of game art. I agree that would be the best choice for you.

I don't really see you eventually becoming a game artist if you go the programming route, though. Its tough to compete with game artists that have been painting textures or sculpting models for an extra couple of years. You could probably do those thing in your own time as a hobby.

Plus, programming is great because it is a transferable skill. You will be just as equipped to build game engines as you are to build artist tools or develop an iphone app.
Linkedin
"You do modeling? ...but you're too ugly."

09 September 2013
Thank you for responding.

Yeah i understand it would put me behind skill wise, and the programming course would take time away from being able to create things.

I've been character modeling and such for years as a hobby though, sorry my gallery is empty, purged it a while ago. but I've been focusing mainly on digital painting for the past while thanks to finally working part-time recently. But i think i could compete given time and tools.

But yeah that what i'm thinking ,the landscape seems to change so frequently, there's no telling where i might end up.

I just don't want to think of a future where i'm stuck because a certain tool is too far above my level if you know what i mean.

The tools might get easier to use but the underlying structure gets more complex.

I'm also asking if i'm over thinking this.

Google+ | Twitter

09 September 2013
www.codeacademy.com

Try it out, see if you enjoy it, but getting lost in the concept of money or stability is the wrong way to approach things.

Be very careful about taking academic/social/monetary commitments with the idea that you'll do extra stuff on your own time. You're young - try to do one or two things really really well, and spend the rest trying to meet friends and having experiences.

Software changes, do not worry about it, you'll figure it out. Spend 8 hours a day programming, spend another 4 modeling - you will never be as good as someone who models for 12 hours a day.

You are over-analyzing, but that's what you're supposed to do. Go with your gut man, be a rockstar, no matter what path you choose. Right?

09 September 2013
I didn't really think about sacrificing social life, perhaps it is better to keep things focused for now.

Thank you.

Google+ | Twitter

09 September 2013
Depends... what do you want to be? If your end goal is to be a TD then yes I can see the benefit of going to programming school. But if you want to, say, be an animator, your programming skill is quite useless as in studio there will be programmers developing those tools for you.

Animation school in collage have its advantage - you'll get hands on experience working with tight deadlines. Not as tight as studio tight but still a good things to get a taste for. You'll also get a chance to work on collaborative project which is really beneficial.

Last edited by Panupat : 09 September 2013 at 09:21 AM.

09 September 2013
Just something to consider, programming jobs (by that I mean a comp science degree) pay a lot better, are in much more demand, and has a lot more job security. Can't say how it will be in 4-5 years, but I wouldn't be quick to dismiss that if you find that you like coding.

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread