What's the best free, online trainin for Maya?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
What's the best free, online trainin for Maya?

Sorry if there are other threads about this, I couldn't find anything that was up to date that really answer my question...

I'm a 32 year old police officer, married with a 9 year old daughter. I have zero 3d modelling experience, I have a slight amount of level design experience from an Amnesia custom story I made. I have about 8-12 hours a week to try to learn modelling/animating and I'm on a pretty strict budget (being a cop doesn't pay too well).

What is the best and most efficient way I can learn skills quickly and get a job in this industry? I really can't afford some of the higher end online schools like gnomon or digital tutors. Is there a free online course that you would recommend to put me on the fast track?

I have been tinkering around in Maya 2013 for a month or so, just doing some of the Youtube tutorials that are out there. I feel like I'm pretty creative and I'm a pretty good artist with a pencil and paper and I really enjoy the idea of taking some primitive shapes and molding them into something awesome. So the passion and the inherent ability are there, I just need some advice to point me in the right direction. Thanks for any insight!

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Can anyone help me or?

Old 08 August 2013   #3
You can check out the Maya Learning Channel on youtube. You can also check out Lynda and Digital Tutors for monthly subscription based services. Digital Tutors currently has an Intro to Maya 2014 and the sites subscription runs you $45/mo which gets you access to everything. Videos, project files, etc.... Lynda is cheaper($25/mo w/o project files, $35/mo with), but only just and IMO isn't as in-depth as DT. DT also has some "Demo Account" which I guess is a restricted trial of the site so you can see if it's something that will be in your interest. And then of course you have this place. There's a few stickies around that have free content. It's just a bit more difficult to find what you want.

EDIT: Didn't realize that you already looked at Digital Tutors. You could check out SimplyMaya for some free tutorials.

Last edited by Cerberus2k7 : 08 August 2013 at 05:51 AM.

Old 08 August 2013   #4
Thanks a million Cerberus, the Maya Learning Channel looks pretty interesting, I didn't know it existed despite searching for a site like that on Google and Youtube. I also stumbled across this site which looked interesting though probably not as structured as the Maya Learning Channel...

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/200...a-3d-tutorials/

Old 08 August 2013   #5
You can also try the tutorials on the autodesk website. Some lessons you have to look certain things up, as the tutorial is wrong, but other than that it is wonderful.

Old 08 August 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread