CGTalk > Main > Education
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
Metalhey
portfolio
Canada

Just starting, Looking for advice..

I got accepted into a 3d modelling and animation program in Vancouver back in 2011, being a big gamer i always wanted to learn how to make games and this would be the perfect opportunity. I was surprised at the time because i had no knowledge of 3d modelling, i use to draw but nothing exceptional. But sadly i was not able to attend due to personal issues.

I had to take a few years off and after that i decided to go to college for Massage Therapy(complete 180 i know) and with 2-3 months left before i graduate i have recently come to the conclusion that i cant see myself doing this the rest of my life

Recently i started looking into 3d animation and video game design again. Downloaded Blender, Unity, Sculptris and been messing around with them, watching videos and doing some programming and i am having so much fun learning this stuff. So i bought books on c++ programming, Animation and books for Blender on basics and character development, recently started drawing with some free books by Andrew Loomis. It kind of clicked the other day that this is what i want to be doing as my job.

I have been looking into schools for animation but more directed towards video games and a'lot of schools want portfolios of work you have done, and me just starting out dont have this. Just a willingness to learn and get better. So i have a few question and if you guys/gals could give me some advice i would really appreciate it

1) Is it worth spending the money for school to learn this when there are so many free lessons out there?

2)Is there maybe any schools, maybe Online Schools that offer programs for beginners like me for animation?

any advice would be amazing. Thanx

Old 08-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
Zukran
portfolio
USA

Before deciding to drop thousands of dollars on an education, make sure its really what you want to do. I'd say spend a month working/learning on your own for at least 8 hours a day M-F. That should give you an idea if you want to pursue it. Digital Tutors is a great resource for learning and exploring games and animation. Its an excellent source for beginners and great to learn foundations and the tools.

I hope this helps, also check other threads on the site for similar questions. These types of questions are quite common and there is great advice all over the forum. Cheers and good luck

Old 08-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread