Hertfordshire or UWE Bristol (Fast Response pls)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
Thumbs up Hertfordshire or UWE Bristol (Fast Response pls)

okay finally i got to choose between UH or UWE.
ive got an offer letter from UWE. but i havent got any info from UH.

which one is the best choice?
my goal is to be a 3d artist and animator at major studio in the future. i also planned to continue my studies to higher degree and be a lecturer.

07 July 2013
Have you compared the work of both universities? That would seem to be one way to help you make your mind up.

UWE reel https://vimeo.com/10526722

University of Hertfordshire reel https://vimeo.com/69509410

07 July 2013
Well i actually prefer to uni of hertfordshire.
The module n showreel are great.
But i havent got the offer letter yet.
It takes so long.
Ive planned to start the course this september.

07 July 2013
Honestly it would be worth the wait to get your letter through from UH.

I completed a visual effects degree at UH just over 2 years ago now and I can tell you that the course is fantastic. What makes the course is the lecturers, they all have plenty of industry experience and it really shows. The support and guidance that you get from them is exceptional and with the skills that they teach you, you really feel prepared when going out to work in the industry.

Since graduating I have worked in some of the biggest companies in London on films such as John Carter. Also I am now a compositor in New Zealand working on tv series and other feature films and I must say all of this is down to my time at UH.

07 July 2013
Hi there

Thanks for your compliments I've sent you a PM, I need some information from you and I will use that to ask the international admissions about your application.

07 July 2013
Email sent
thank you for your help.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by nick1986: Honestly it would be worth the wait to get your letter through from UH.

I completed a visual effects degree at UH just over 2 years ago now and I can tell you that the course is fantastic. What makes the course is the lecturers, they all have plenty of industry experience and it really shows. The support and guidance that you get from them is exceptional and with the skills that they teach you, you really feel prepared when going out to work in the industry.

Since graduating I have worked in some of the biggest companies in London on films such as John Carter. Also I am now a compositor in New Zealand working on tv series and other feature films and I must say all of this is down to my time at UH.

Considering the staff at the University of Hertfordshire have, on a number of occasions in the past, registered accounts here pretending to be former students and posting replies like this, I can't help but wonder if you're for real.

07 July 2013
I don`t believe that to be true and I certainly am a real person hmmm hopefully my linkedin profile will prove it:

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/vie...ive_tab_profile

07 July 2013
Damn you busted our undercover lecturer; Delivering top quality lessons all the way from New Zealand... Really Leigh?

Sarcasm aside, I'm also a student from UH, just about to go into my 3rd year of 3D. At the end of the day, you have to do what you love; To me the course is an amazing environment which gives me the tools and contacts to do what I love.

I worked all through my 1st year summer, and am mid-way through an excellent CG job during my 2nd year summer, both through contacts made thanks to the university. Recommend.

Last edited by DigitalSalmon : 07 July 2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: grammar

07 July 2013
Hi Leigh I hope your doing well.

I was the guy emailing you about maybe doing some lecturing at our Uni. I see you have banned one of our old students from saying nice things about our uni. His name is Nicholas Hurst (you can search for him on linkin and see his is genuine). Yes he may sound rather over enthusiastic. Believe it or not we really do care about our students and often keep in contact for years to come which is why a lot of them have very nice things to say about us. Jo Wand and Nick did a really good end of year film together. Nick is a really nice guy who was in his last year when I started so him liking the course was really down to Sol Rogers who ran VFX at the time. If you search our own forum this is what I wrote to prompt him to write in cgtalk..

Hi all. There is a thread on cgtalk with someone asking which Uni they should go to. Do you mind replying and telling them what it is like (obviously the lectures cannot).

regards

Mark

So you see it was a very open ended post. I was careful to make sure I did not bias their response either positive or negative.

Now I know one of our members of staff claimed to be a student. Believe me, we told him it was a really dumb thing to do. He was the only one and it was also something other staff were not aware of until we realised you were blocking posts from us.

So can you please put Nicks email back-into cgtalk. Feel free to check Nick's IP address and you will see you are wrong.

best regards

Mark

07 July 2013
What makes you think Nick has been banned? He hasn't - I simply expressed a doubt over the authenticity of the post, based on a past precedent. Furthermore, there were at least two or three user accounts a few years back claiming to be students, that I traced back to your staff. With Nick here, I expressed doubt as he says he's in NZ, but his account shows an IP address in Hatfield. Now this could be a legacy IP from when he originally registered, as he's been registered a while, but it was enough to warrant suspicion.

We have no advertising rules here for a reason, guys. It's perfectly acceptable to answer student's queries about your courses (something which Martin above frequently does, which is totally fine), but to attempt to circumvent the prohibition of promoting courses by posing as students is not on. Every time I see a new user show up claiming to be a former student of yours, you can't blame me for viewing it with suspicion based on what happened before. We don't appreciate people trying to circumvent our rules, and I'm sure potential students don't want to be dishonestly misled.

07 July 2013
If its a decision between UWE and Hertfordshire I would be biased as a recent graduate of Hertfordshire. However at the end of the day it is ultimately your decision as you will have to undertake a massive loan, something I am not looking forward to paying myself to be honest. I visited around 9 universities and did interviews but left it another year to look at more uni's as I was still unsure and was recommended to improve my life drawing. Which ever you decide to go to you will have to do a fair amount of self learning and work, but dependent on the university you may not get the technical and artistic critique support needed to further your work. I do know many graduates who now curse their universities and lecturers on their current employment in pubs and supermarkets. Although their ultimate uni decision was based on elements that "SOUNDED" good and great nightlife, rather than, what is the quality of work like? Where are graduates now? Do the lectures have industry experience and know more than how to make a box in Maya or Max? Do they have industry contacts and talks?

I do think think the business of a lecturer whoever long ago posing as a student was pretty dumb and shady but I wouldnt say its a sales ploy anyway, lecturers dont get commission on bringing students like you would selling houses and cars.....

But anyway, whatever your decision is good look with it and work hard thats all I can really say. If you think I am a lecturer or something just give me a message on my vimeo account and ill respond back ha... It also has my showreel and final year film on
https://vimeo.com/mwoodcock

07 July 2013
I did try to reply to your post Leigh but for some reason it didn`t get through.

I do understand your concerns Leigh but I can assure you I am a graduate from Hertfordshire University. Here is my Linkedin profile to hopefully lay your suspicions to rest :

http://nz.linkedin.com/pub/nicholas-hurst/22/373/565

Last edited by nick1986 : 07 July 2013 at 12:37 PM.

07 July 2013
Hi Cool Beans, I'm glad we have cleared all that up.

regards

Mark

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by nick1986: I did try to reply to your post Leigh but for some reason it didn`t get through.

I do understand your concerns Leigh but I can assure you I am a graduate from Hertfordshire University. Here is my Linkedin profile to hopefully lay your suspicions to rest :

http://nz.linkedin.com/pub/nicholas-hurst/22/373/565

The first few posts any user makes on these forums are held in a moderation queue. It's a spam counteractive measure, and results in a user's first couple of posts being delayed.

Posting a LinkedIn profile doesn't really prove anything, as ultimately anyone could be pretending to be anyone (the blatantly dishonest behaviour of the one lecturer demonstrated that pretending to be other people was something he was willing to do), but I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Thread Closed share thread