Advise: Obtaining a Computer Science degree after a Computer Animation degree

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
Advise: Obtaining a Computer Science degree after a Computer Animation degree

Hello!

This past year I graduated from Ringling College of Art and Design with a degree in Computer Animation. I did quite well, and my senior thesis actually was awarded the gold at the Student Academy Awards.

Unfortunately, with the crash of the industry, finding work just hasn't happened. I've been applying all summer, and have sent out at least 50 applications with no response (other than a one or two offering unpaid internships in expensive cities, which are fiscally impossible).

Ringling, like most art colleges, cost me a exorbitant amount in loans. With the payments looming in the distance, I've decided it would probably be wise to enroll in a local university so they stay in deferment. The only logical degree to earn seems to be a BA in computer science. Which I'm actually kind of excited about, because while at Ringling I took a keen interest in all the technical aspects of the pipeline, and was fortunate enough to be able to take an independent study on scripting. Since then I've really had my sights set on a technical director position.

Anyway, I have already started the process to enroll and since I have a degree already I only have to take computer science courses and math; so I'm looking at about two years to finish (It would be faster but the calc I and II and computer science I and II are prereqs for everything else)

So, I guess I'm just looking for advice on whether this is a sound plan. Will the industry have healed from this crazy year by then? (I know no one could know a definitive answer, but I hear this is a cyclical pattern..? the industry just tanks every 10-15 years and companies fire all the expensive/experienced people)

Also, will having a computer science degree make it easier to get a job? And possibly a higher paying job? (I wish that didn't matter, but I'm looking at 1400 a month in loan payments) Anyone with experience on having a degree in both?
Also, I saw Digipen(and some other schools) has a computer science + game design degree, would it be better to get something like that?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 07 July 2013   #2
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread