CGTalk > Main > Education
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
Ranok
portfolio
USA

College Ideas

After a little research I am now thinking that instead of trying to get into Gnomon, I really need to up my skill as a traditional artist first. I would like to find a college that has a great focus on drawing and painting for concept art, digital and traditional. I know digipen has a good concept art course but they also require you to already be knowledgeable in drawing and painting. I would like to find something similar. I have been looking into the Academy of Art University for Illustration or Game Art. So if you all have any ideas for colleges that will help me build up my game/film concept art I would appreciate anything you can give. Thank you

Old 06-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

I don't now much about that school, but there are probably better ways you can invest your 80 grand. I don't mean to troll your thread, but going to an expensive school just for the sake of going to school isn't really that helpful. Are there any particular classes or faculty at that school that you feel justify that price?

I'm not much of an artist myself, but I think the best way to improve is just to start painting, and submit your work for others to critique.

-AJ

Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Ranok
portfolio
USA

Hey it's no problem man! I may agree with you sometime in the future, right now I am currently signed up on Digital Tutors and I have learned a lot so far. I would just really like to get into a college that has concept art types of classes. I have looked up some illustration classes but it's not exactly what I am looking for and neither is graphic design. Maybe it would be more along the lines of game art courses? I am just wondering if there are any courses tht anyone knows about that resemble the one at digipen, https://www.digipen.edu/academics/d...ourse-sequence/ .

Old 06-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Los Angeles, USA

Art Center College of Design is the best for Entertainment Design (Concept Art). Otis College of Art is also quite good. ACCD doesn't offer a foundation program anymore, and they require a very polished portfolio. It is a very difficult program to get into. Otis is easier to get into, and they offer a well developed foundation year. As a disclaimer, I teach at Otis but am basically school agnostic when it comes to making school recommendations for students.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 06-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
Ranok
portfolio
USA

Thanks for the info Rebeccak! See, I learn the 3d from digital tutors and I am improving a lot by doing so, probably better than any college can teach or just as well. It's just that I would love to learn basic drawing, anatomy, painting, and the concept artwork to go along with my 3d knowledge. I will look into Arc Center College of Design and Otis, so thanks for that!

Old 06-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Ranok
portfolio
USA

I have a question for you Rebeccak. Does Otis require a portfolio to get in and is there anyway I could take the foundations year and get financial aid and housing, just for the foundation year.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread