Gnomon or Full Sail?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Gnomon or Full Sail?

I am still confused on which school I should go to. Suggestions?

04 April 2013
If you can go to Gnomon, go to Gnomon...There still are no guarantees, because you ultimately determine how much you learn. Gnomon has the best resources.

04 April 2013
Hey man,

Have you looked in Indiana at all? Last I heard, the job market in LA and Florida wasn't so great. A degree from Notre Dame or Purdue would get you further than those schools. Abeiet ND is a little expensive and hard to get into.

-AJ

04 April 2013
Well Notre Dame does not offer anything in computer graphics, like for 3D Model Artist's like me.

04 April 2013
Hey man,

Do you have a link to your portfolio? It would help us if we could see some of your work.

-AJ

04 April 2013
Right now I do not have a computer that really can use maya.

04 April 2013
Well if you don't have a very fast computer or any money, you could always install Linux and run Blender on it. Most Linux distros are a little more compact than Win or OSX. I think Gnomon requires a portfolio, so you'll need to get started on some art stuff.

Plus if your considering investing 50K to go to Full Sail or Gnomon, you might want to invest 700 or 800 on a capable machine first.

Last edited by AJ1 : 04 April 2013 at 09:55 PM.

04 April 2013
Well I am in 9th grade.

04 April 2013
Hey man,

I started doing 3D stuff myself around 8th grade on a small program written by one guy called Anim8tor. I found that my HS offered a class in 3DS Max, so I signed up for it when I was in 10th grade. No reason you cant start doing 3D stuff now if you have an interest in it. You can get free copies of all the Autodesk programs if your a student.

-AJ

04 April 2013
I have autodesk Maya 2013 but I need a computer to use it on.

04 April 2013
If it boils down to just either Gnomon or Full Sail, I'd go with Gnomon.

I haven't been to Gnomon so I can't put any personal input there, but it just looks better on paper. Gnomon is a well known school in the industry that specializes in cg and vfx. And according to wikipedia Full Sail is a privately held "for profit" university, which usually means bad news.

04 April 2013
Hey! I go to Gnomon If you have any questions about the school just pm me. Overall though, no complaints from me about the program. So I'd say... do Gnomon!

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by AJ1: Hey man,

I started doing 3D stuff myself around 8th grade on a small program written by one guy called Anim8tor.

-AJ

Oh man, don't leak information like that. You're revealing our age pretty easily I too started with Animator. Oh, those were the old days... Did you get by chance to work on 3D Studio Max for DOS?

04 April 2013
Both schools are very good and if you have the money I would certainly advise you to enroll. Studying in those places will give you a good infrastructure, great teachers and the best of all, networking opportunities. In that regard, Gnomon is best.

But personally, I would recommend you first to buy yourself a good machine, install a copy of Blender (or an educational version of 3D Max or Maya) and begin to experiment and learn on your own. Take as many art courses that you can handle (sculpting, drawing, photography) and watch as many tutorials as you can. That hard work can payoff immensely and turn you into a very capable Artist all by yourself at an infinitely lower cost.

Then , spend those 50k on your own project.

04 April 2013
All the good programs start with traditional art first -- you need to be able to design things on paper before you model and animate them. In 9th grade, even without a computer, it's a good bet to spend all your time drawing and taking art classes and build up a great portfolio. I personally think that photography is also relevant and worth taking seriously, although how important photography is might depend on what kind of 3D work you want to do.

Thread Closed share thread