Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 12-24-2012, 03:30 AM   #1
narayan25
portfolio
Narayanan Prasath
Villupuram, India

Decision making is hard ...Need Suggestions/Ideas

I am a final year IT student ,who is passionate about arts and VFX .The reason I did my UG in IT was to set a backup(having a degree in hand guarantees a job) .And also my parents were not aware of Animation&VFX at that time. Recently I got hired by a renowned IT company that will be paying me around Rs.30k/month ($600). I am thinking of doing MFA in Academy of Arts . But my parents are insisting me to work in order to gain exposure and experience . I don't see myself as someone in the IT field , All I want to do is arts and to work in the VFX industry . It is not a do/die situation for me to work in IT ,but my parents feel that I have to work and find out whether to stay in IT or move on to Animation. My views on myself says that I can work to the fullest only in Arts and not in IT . While I am applying for my MFA (fall-2013) , I will be receiving my job call letter by July2013.
Its hard to make a decision by myself . please help me out .I am 21.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Matts77
portfolio
Wes
Abilene, USA

I was in the same boat you were in. I recently graduated from an IT school and went to work for an engineering firm. I hated going to work because my passion is engineering, but mainly automotive diagnostics and simulation. I ended up leaving 4 months short of my contract to pursue an engineering degree. I never regretted my decision, and I didn't care about my contract, because walking into a job that I couldn't stand and being surrounded by people who are doing what they loved just made me envious. Yes, I took the job because I wanted experience and yes, it gave me a lot of exposure to other firms who were more than willing to hire me, but I wasn't passionate about my job. A passionate employee is far better than an experienced employee.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
narenn
PRO
portfolio
Naren Naidoo
Pixel Pusher
ILM
USA

If you already know you want to do something else, don't waste time on the current job. You will not moving sooner. AAU has a strong program. What exactly do you want to do? Do you know yet?

Old 12-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread