Education overkill or higher failure potential?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
To tell the truth Im a little scared of the ups and down of the industry for what Ive reading. Im just looking for other kind of related jobs when the projects are over or there are no jobs available in the industry or something like that so I can keep working and making money.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by csq3D: Thanks for the fast reply.! Umm those instructors were like entirely self taught and great portfolio or reel or did they have some certificate like one from Gnomon for example?

Could you give me some examples of universities or/and tell other people or place that I could ask this same question?

Thanks!

Almost every instructor is different. One thing to keep in mind is that any experienced professional/instructor, entered this industry at a different time. A top notch reel that a student can make at home today, would shame those from the largest companies that long ago.

For example I've had a mix of teachers who worked on one major film 6 years ago, to 12+ year veterans from ILM. Typically though, it seemed artists were picked up through some connection, and learned everything on the job. Today it is far more competitive. The internet is filled with tutorials and trial versions of the highest end software. If you want to give yourself an edge, do whatever it takes to learn as much as you can.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by csq3D: To tell the truth Im a little scared of the ups and down of the industry for what Ive reading. Im just looking for other kind of related jobs when the projects are over or there are no jobs available in the industry or something like that so I can keep working and making money.

Everyone is nervous. I saw somewhere that out of the 1000+ employees at Weta, only 6 or so are staffed positions, there rest are all contract based. If you are truly passionate, you will find a way to make it work.

01 January 2013
Thanks for the answer Naren..! I just dont know why some place like Gnomon is so poor in accreditations compared to other places when in fact is the best or one of the best places to learn VFX.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by csq3D: Thanks for the answer Naren..! I just dont know why some place like Gnomon is so poor in accreditations compared to other places when in fact is the best or one of the best places to learn VFX.

Due take notice, that one the biggest reasons why Gnomon, AAU, NYU, SCAD, USC, etc... are successful in job placements, is not only because of the program, but the people you meet. There is no one better to learn from than a current working professional.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by csq3D: Thanks for the answer Naren..! I just dont know why some place like Gnomon is so poor in accreditations compared to other places when in fact is the best or one of the best places to learn VFX.

I've been to AAU and have met quite a few people graduated from Gnomon. These places only give you the opportunity to learn and make connection. Which only makes up 10% of the equation. The rest are entirely up to you: how hard you work, how good your reel is, and etc. It's just like fine art, all you can do is keep working. And working and working and working to get good at it.

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread