Portfolio Queries

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2012
Portfolio Queries

Hello Everyone..

I am Shobhit Khinvasara, from India. I recently completed my Bachelors in Computer Science & Engineering. However now I am looking for a change in direction and I want to get into Animation.

I have been researching universities in the US for some time now, and I came across some schools which give MFA in Animation. However they require a portfolio for admission.

I have no idea where to start. I have been sketching for sometime now, I have even dabbled in 3d Modelling in Maya, I made a project using MEL code in my Final year in engineering. I recently joined a course in Digital painting. But I don't know what exactly people in the universities want.

I have around one year to apply as well as prepare a portfolio. Any suggestions, help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

07 July 2012
Computer Graphics

Do you specifically want to do artwork for animation or do you just want to work in the animation industry?

because 3d animation involves A TON of tech/programming and if you have a degree in computer science you are already on track for technical director positions. You would work on fx simulations, rigging, renderers, pipeline tools, etc...

In fact, getting into animation as a TD is probably easier than getting in as an artist (animator, modeler, lighter, concept artist, etc....). Fewer people want to do the technical stuff.

So I'd recommend finding a computer science MFA program that has courses in computer graphics. I know my school, Carnegie Mellon University, had this: http://graphics.cs.cmu.edu/
These programs wouldn't ask you for art portfolios, just good grades and an interest in graphics.
Linkedin
"You do modeling? ...but you're too ugly."

07 July 2012
Smile

Originally Posted by razorbjc: Do you specifically want to do artwork for animation or do you just want to work in the animation industry?

because 3d animation involves A TON of tech/programming and if you have a degree in computer science you are already on track for technical director positions. You would work on fx simulations, rigging, renderers, pipeline tools, etc...

In fact, getting into animation as a TD is probably easier than getting in as an artist (animator, modeler, lighter, concept artist, etc....). Fewer people want to do the technical stuff.

So I'd recommend finding a computer science MFA program that has courses in computer graphics. I know my school, Carnegie Mellon University, had this: http://graphics.cs.cmu.edu/
These programs wouldn't ask you for art portfolios, just good grades and an interest in graphics.

Thanks for the reply,

Yeah well I considered what you are suggesting, and I am hundred percent sure that I want to go for the artwork part of animation(concept artist, character designer, character animator, storyboard artist).

Although I have worked on technical part of animation(MEL code project), its the artwork part of animation industry which fascinates me, visualizing new characters, how they would move, storyboards etc.

I am definitely looking for an arts program.

07 July 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread