Good university In UK / Need Info!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2012
Thanks! That was really helpful! I'm not so much of a scripting guy, but more of a visual... so yeah... I would go with "Computer Animation Arts" as you say it's less programming/math. Thanks again for explaining! I really do not see myself in a programming class right now... and in c++, that's one hard language x) I prefer keeping with software made already and try to create a good product out of it. But I do take my hat off to those guys who make the software and plugins.

Last edited by DaPerPT : 07 July 2012 at 11:33 PM.

07 July 2012
Yeah the Bournemouth computer visualization and animation course is probably by far the best CG course in the UK, the computer science aspect is there but it makes you more employable which is part of why its so respected.

I disagree with it being easy to get into though, when I applied its was 40 applicants for each place and they ask for A,A,B in good subjects.

You don't need a visa or anything like that for working in the UK if your from the EU

The cost of living in London is extremely high so its not a great place to be a student, a room would be like 500 a month minimum.

I would judge the standard of a university by its teachers and the former students work, no student work on their site = alarm bell.

A lot of them name drop and talk about great facilities I would not listen to that personally, let the work do the talking, if the student work from the previous years is looking lame, can be sure the course is not up to scratch. Be careful because there are a LOT of bad 3D courses in the UK and very few good ones. Can count them on one hand, education here is quite a big business so you get a lot of sham courses.

There is less of that money grab mentality in mainland Europe, many have a lot of integrity and really care about the students performance as opposed to the numbers.

Last edited by conbom : 07 July 2012 at 12:24 AM.

07 July 2012
Awesome! Bournemouth looks great! How is the place? And what is it like to live there? Criminality? How are the people?

07 July 2012
Can you give me a link to a Bournemouth student's reel please, I'm looking up on youtube and it's not very impressive, actually pretty bad comparing to other unis. But I'm certainly doing a bad search. Thanks!

07 July 2012
http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...1ac.rjMTlNAmEeE

Should give you an idea of some people on that course's work. I don't know how much value to give to students' showreels really, if they are perfect, it doesn't necessarily correlate to the uni doing a good job, or vice versa.

Crime is not something I'm aware of much! Bournemouth as a town is really nice, great night life and leisure activities with the beach! The lecturers are all pleasant, but some will go further to help than others. Occasionally a module has a lot lacking *ahem cinematography*. One very helpful aspect of the course for me (in first year) was the Peer Assisted Learning - 2 hours a week of talking through problems, being shown inspiration etc, with a group of diligent, paid second years. In my experience, it's probably a majority of non-English students, so you'd fit right in.

07 July 2012
Ohh.. it's fine.. It's just that I looked up some reels of other unis like this one (in the US). And maybe my expectations were higher... But after all you will go there to learn.. xD so yeah.. it doesn't matter that much.

Bournemouth looks really great, It's in my list now, next year I will visit it to see how everything is!!

Thanks.

08 August 2012
For something shorter than a BA or MA, I found Escape Studios to be great if you are looking for VFX work (not so much modeling)

08 August 2012
Yeah... I know about Escape Studios Thanks anyway.

08 August 2012
This is the main site for their CG stuff, its actually the National Center for it

http://ncca.bournemouth.ac.uk/

This is the youtube channel showing their work, it goes back to 1999, that's a really long time for a computer graphics course, some great stuff on there

http://www.youtube.com/user/NCCAAnimation#p/

As for Bournemouth as a town, its very safe and friendly, the town is mainly comprised of lots of students and old people living out their retirement. Its got some of the best beeches in the UK, is about 90 mins from London on the train, close to Brighton, very nice location, MUCH cheaper than london. I go there to swim on hot summer days, i currently live in the big smoke

08 August 2012
Hahaha.. It looks like a great uni!! I don't have much interest in the beach because I grew up in Portugal and we have beaches everywhere. And it must be kinda cold in UK beaches comparing to ours. But anyway, I do not plan to live there! I want to live in London

Thanks for the info... Loved some of the work they've done!!

Last edited by DaPerPT : 08 August 2012 at 05:40 PM.

08 August 2012
British beeches are the best in the world, will put hairs on your chest

But yeah london is a great city, there is so much to do, good luck with your studies

08 August 2012
Haha... thanks!

08 August 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread