Good university In UK / Need Info!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2012
Thanks.. I never said a paper was better than a skill set... It never is and it never will be.
But the thing is if you have the skill set and the paper, you beat the guy that only has the skill set. Thanks for the advice on that Tutorial Website.. I will check it out!

Last edited by DaPerPT : 07 July 2012 at 09:39 PM.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by DaPerPT: But the thing is if you have the skill set and the paper, you beat the guy that only has the skill set.

No, you don't. I've been working in this industry for many, many years and can safely say that 99.9% of studios couldn't possibly care less about degrees or other qualifications in artists. They care about the work shown in your reel.

That's not to say that an education is a waste of time, because it isn't. But don't fool yourself into believing employers care, because they don't. I have no degrees but it hasn't stopped me from working on three different continents for some of the best VFX studios in the biz.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by DaPerPT: Thank you very much! My mom is a Painter / Art teacher and my dad is a Software developer... So yeah.. what do you get from those two, right? xD I will get into my mom's classes and see if I can get my drawing skills at it's best

I chose 3dsMax and AE because I started my learning in VideoCopilot and Creative Cow... Those were the top ones back then... I will try to master as well as I can both of these and start practicing node based composition (Nuke). And as well see if I can get my hands on Maya students version. They have one for 3ds...

I would really much appreciate it if you could do those things about the UK UCAS points / Portuguese Points (0-20).

Thank you very much.

Daniel

PS: If you have any idea on how can I contact those Portuguese student's of yours ( website, something like that) It would be awesome, If not, it's cool. It would be just nice to see how they moved from here, where did they lived and how did England felt to them...

Sounds like you have an excellent genetic advantage Yes, there is a student version of Maya:

http://students.autodesk.com/ just log in like you did for 3DSMax, and look for Maya - same process.

I've found the reels from the two graduates I was talking about, their emails are in their reels so I guess you could try contacting them?

Miguel Santana
https://vimeo.com/45441653

Ricardo David
https://vimeo.com/18511737

07 July 2012
Thank you Moid! If you can get Average Points translated it would be awesome... But feel free to have them anytime... after all, I'm not in a hurry. If you really can't. I will ask around. Thanks anyway for everything!

Leigh, of course I'm not gonna discuss with a guy that has been in the industry. While I'm still in high school. But, from what I heard, family/ older friends, university gives you a lot of contacts and you can meet loads of people learning the same stuff you are, and if you have those contacts, if you can deliver, if you have a great skill set and a really good artistic vision, you will still get a good job, I think...
Anyways, It was nice to meet you, I'm sorry If I was anytime disrespectful to you, I'm just here to make friends, have a great vfx/3d life! I sure hope mine will be awesome.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by DaPerPT: Thank you Moid! If you can get Average Points translated it would be awesome... But feel free to have them anytime... after all, I'm not in a hurry. If you really can't. I will ask around. Thanks anyway for everything!

Leigh, of course I'm not gonna discuss with a guy that has been in the industry. While I'm still in high school. But, from what I heard, family/ older friends, university gives you a lot of contacts and you can meet loads of people learning the same stuff you are, and if you have those contacts, if you can deliver, if you have a great skill set and a really good artistic vision, you will still get a good job, I think...
Anyways, It was nice to meet you, I'm sorry If I was anytime disrespectful to you, I'm just here to make friends, have a great vfx/3d life! I sure hope mine will be awesome.

10 - 15 years ago game design for instance wasn't even at university. While it is true that connections matter a lot - especially in creative industries (there's two sides of the coin, you can be daft and awful but you get employed and promoted because you know somebody; option 2: you can have a great personality but you remain unemployed because somebody told others who told everyone else that you're daft) - as long as you are determined you'll be fine. Apart from that you can always go Indie and cut out the middle man - work for yourself. I suggest both - having a day / regular job and having your own projects.

Universities are not what they used to be - they accommodate casuals. Have you heard of College Scam Conspiracy Theory? It's not a theory nor does it attempt to conspire in any way. If I was You I'd study 3d on your own and get formal education in let's say Mathematics, Engineering, last but not least - Architecture. You'll more likely to find employment than a guy after a sunday school.

07 July 2012
Of course I will have my own projects, my dream is after all working for myself... Youtube or Website, whatever. But to get here isn't as easy, at least for me . So I will work for someone first.. to gain experience, etc... and have my own projects on the side.

About the taking another degree in maths or engineering.. hmmm.. you got me kinda thinking.
I still have 3 years to decide what I'm gonna do.. I will talk to my parents and friends... but of course the final call will be mine. I hope I make a good decision, one that I will not regret.

Thank you,
Daniel

07 July 2012
Or get qualified as an electrician or a plumber - it's good money and steady job. If you learn how to use your mind in logical manner you'll be a better 3d guy than people with art background. You can always learn color theory but you cannot learn hard work. The only problem here is that employers and others will profile you and may ghettoize you (Oh god, another wanna-be artist from 7/11 night-shift) so...architecture is better after all. On the other hand Hollywood produced a handful of stars who came from the very bottom. Hilary Swank is one of my favorites and in terms of perseverance Thomas Jane.

Don't get conned into game design / animation studies - if you do consider them do the following (CGmaciej's guide to exposing 3d teaching scammers):

1.Look up your professors on Linkedin and Google search, from junior to principal.
2.Check their background.
3.Look for their portfolio.
4.Check their formal education.
5.Compute ratio of good vs bad.

It someone hasn't got a portfolio in 3d and is lacking formal education it's highly suspicious. Two things decide here: either good University (top 20 within teaching field), or portfolio. Having neither means it's a scam and department is run by a clueless guy who's interested in plucking you out of spinach.

There's also 3d "boot-camps" like Escape studios. More often than not when employers see this on your CV they think you cannot think for yourself and for 9k / course better to get an i7 with 2 graphics cards and a lifetime at Digital Tutors.

Consulting / teaching scams on the margin of VFX industry make more money than the actual VFX houses so becareful.

07 July 2012
Hi Daniel

I consulted my university's interpretation of Portuguese examinations and this is what it looks like, I hope it makes sense to you.

We need you to pass all the subjects in your Certificado de fim de Estudos Secundários, and Mathematics must be past at a minimum score of at least 10. Apparently we do not recognise the English exam within your course, so you will need to pass an IELTS with 6.0 or higher as well. You need to pass two of your subjects at a minimum score of 14 -17, and one other with a score of 10 - 13, and that would give you the equivalent to 280 UCAS points (our entry requirements).

If it's any help for you if you are applying anywhere with higher requirements, each of your subjects in the Certificado is considered the equivalent of an English A-level, and English students usually study three or four of these before applying for university.

English A level grade A = Certificado grade 18 - 20 = UCAS Points 120
English A level grade B = Certificado grade 14 - 17 = UCAS Points 100
English A level grade C = Certificado grade 10 - 13 = UCAS Points 80

So if you apply somewhere that wants say 320 UCAS points you can see that you would need two scores of 14 -17 and one score of 18 -20. Obviously check with each university because the NARIC guidelines are considered guidelines and open to interpretation by each university - we don't accept the English part of the Certificado, but other universities might do so for example.

Last edited by moidphotos : 07 July 2012 at 03:50 PM.

07 July 2012
maciej and leigh.. Thanks for your input. I will most probably study Visual Effects/3d though. Even if you think it's worthless. But yeah, I did say most probably!

Moid, thank you so much! But one thing, the grade of the subject is from the 12th year? or an average of a 10,11 and 12th years? Because some subjects, like chemistry we don't have it in the 12th grade. So how does it work? It would make sense being an average of all the grades of that subject. And another thing, I'm choosing science, If I would have chosen humanities it would be much easier to get really good grades. I'm just asking if the area matters, a guy who chooses science has the same chance of getting in the university as the guy who chooses humanities*?

Thanks! And sorry for so much trouble!!!

* The subjects are different,in humanities you have geography instead of biology, history instead of chemistry and German instead of math.

07 July 2012
I'm not sure - this is where the guidelines are not clear at all... at the end of your final year of study would you not receive a certificate of some sort listing the subjects you took and the final grades you gained for them? The final grades for UK A-levels are a mixture of exams and coursework, so you could say that they are an average of several scores - does that help?

My university / course does not distinguish between what subjects you take - so that can either be a good thing (you've chosen science and are not studying art, but we prefer to judge someone by their portfolio, so as long as your grades are high enough we don't mind what subjects they are in) or a bad thing (choosing an easier subject means you'd have higher final scores for applying to university). Obviously for some degree courses, your choice of previous subject matter is essential - you'd want someone who was studying to be a doctor to have already studied Biology at school for example! We would prefer an applicant that had an art subject, but we are also aware that some people have natural talent in that area, so we will interview someone without art qualifications if we think their portfolio is good. I think most UK animation courses will not mind what subjects you have studied previously as long as your portfolio is strong enough (obviously check this though, I can only really give advice for the universities I have taught at).

07 July 2012
I e-mailed some other universities and most of them really didn't care about what I would take. But for a couple of them you need to have an artistic subject and a more mathematical one. And I can always take extra subjects!

But you see.. If you choose arts, except for architecture you can't really get something out of it! Of course visual effects/3d is an art, but you know.. I hope you accept me if I go with science in the 10th grade, I mean after all... there is only a couple of subjects that will change.. and If I have the drawing skills and mathematical skills I will get in a uni. At least from what I heard

I do not know If you receive something in the end of the final year. I will ask around!

Next year, I will go to UK and visit every university I have in my mind! I will ask more detailed questions there.

Anyways, thank you a lot for this, you can't imagine how much you helped me out!

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by DaPerPT: maciej and leigh.. Thanks for your input. I will most probably study Visual Effects/3d though. Even if you think it's worthless. But yeah, I did say most probably!

Moid, thank you so much! But one thing, the grade of the subject is from the 12th year? or an average of a 10,11 and 12th years? Because some subjects, like chemistry we don't have it in the 12th grade. So how does it work? It would make sense being an average of all the grades of that subject. And another thing, I'm choosing science, If I would have chosen humanities it would be much easier to get really good grades. I'm just asking if the area matters, a guy who chooses science has the same chance of getting in the university as the guy who chooses humanities*?

Thanks! And sorry for so much trouble!!!

* The subjects are different,in humanities you have geography instead of biology, history instead of chemistry and German instead of math.

I'd say that it doesn't as long as it's a good University and you're willing to invest your own time - humanities can be useful.

This person graduated with an English Literature degree and teaches lip-sync and face-animation. But how many like him are there - persistent enough to conduct their own research and learn CAD from scratch, with passion for film-making (that's why I suggested Architecture - think area / environment design / shape / form / spatial intel - last but not least visualizations).

This guy here is a protege of the former and a former plumber (look Linkedin - proud plumber). So hm...you can - rags to riches - just like Thomas Jane and Hilary Swank I mentioned before (or at least recognition).

What I want to see yet is Mumbai- rags to Hollywood-riches (not Bollywood) yet and not in a movie by Danny Boyle (awesome idea by the way). Do the math.

Architecture grad.

edit: I'm just trying to save your life pal. You deserve good University and good studies if you're serious - and best teachers. Thing is Universities will lie to you and so will teachers. So look for their individual involvement in creative projects and individual portfolios (not University portfolios made up from past grads' work) - if there's nothing or little on the internet it's most likely a lie. Good teachers take pride in their work and you'll see them on immdb or their work displayed on their own sites (don't forget you'd be their competition also - they're as keen on making money as anyone - but at least they deserve respect because they're there to help you - not to hinder you, like the pretenders.

Last edited by CGmaciej : 07 July 2012 at 09:34 PM.

07 July 2012
I never said humanities wasn't useful, everything is useful, from science to arts, to languages to history, etc...

Okay look. Let's remember one thing, I do not like and won't do anything that I am at least a bit passionate about, and that's why architecture and being a plumber is totally out. So no, I will choose everything so I can end up being a vfx artist. Because that is my dream, to create something new, that didn't exist, make an idea come true. And hopefully being my own boss, we live in 2012, there is o much stuff to do, to explore, to create, to try. Why would I go away of my dream and be a plumber? Seriously, with all the respect sir, I will follow my dream and I will do everything I can to succeed.

Thanks for the input. Have a good day.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by DaPerPT: I never said humanities wasn't useful, everything is useful, from science to arts, to languages to history, etc...

Okay look. Let's remember one thing, I do not like and won't do anything that I am at least a bit passionate about, and that's why architecture and being a plumber is totally out. So no, I will choose everything so I can end up being a vfx artist. Because that is my dream, to create something new, that didn't exist, make an idea come true. And hopefully being my own boss, we live in 2012, there is o much stuff to do, to explore, to create, to try. Why would I go away of my dream and be a plumber? Seriously, with all the respect sir, I will follow my dream and I will do everything I can to succeed.

Thanks for the input. Have a good day.

Don't scuttle into your hole Bilbo. Because plumber is as good as an architect if you have determination, bit of luck and connections and a much better trade in state of emergency (like the nurse, electrician or a fireman - backbone of society, not the VFX artist in any case).

"I'm sorry I cannot stem the bleeding because I was only taught VFX."

"I don't wanna die, I don't wanna die, I don't wanna die!" *scream*

"I deduct you're going to die my dear but I cannot stand the sight of blood, I apologize".

07 July 2012
Why the discouragement, CGmaciej? He wants to be a VFX artist, so let him do that. Just because, from what it seems, you personally haven't managed to be successful as an artist, that doesn't mean you should go around discouraging others from doing so.

I've been making a very good living in VFX for more than 12 years now. Sure, the industry can be rather unstable but it's never really been a serious problem for me. On the contrary I enjoy a high standard of living and I have a job I enjoy. If everyone sought to become, as you put it, a "backbone of society", we would have no art, no entertainment, no philosophy, etc. And what with all these austerity cuts to public services these days, I daresay an artist in a private company has better job prospects right now than firemen and nurses.

Thread Closed share thread