choosing between a college degree and online tutorials

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2012   #1
choosing between a college degree and online tutorials

Hey everybody,

Im an animation student from India. Just finished with my undergraduate degree .

Im more of a 2D guy but , as time changes the relevance of the art is deteriorating , and i found this strong urge to switch to 3D animation as i found it more challenging , and also a lot of opportunities as compared to 2D field.

So what i need to know is - What is the difference between learning 3D animation online (digital tutors ) and attending a full time masters degree in the same major sumwhere in the UK or US .

All i need is a resource where i can build a strong base in Maya for 3D animation

I'd like to receive some valuable advice on the pros and cons of learning it directly from a Mentor ( college ) and learning through online tutorials .

thanks for your time

Last edited by saico1990 : 04 April 2012 at 03:56 PM.

Old 04 April 2012   #2
Do a degree. You will meet some people and no doubt have the time of your life. Seems like it would be very sheltered to spend all day and night at home learning. I met some great people in college and animation schools.

Old 04 April 2012   #3
The post graduation idea is on hold at the moment, and im planning of executing it after a year or so . Until then i can refine my skills in 2D and get to learn some 3D tools myself just to get used to the softwares .

Also im in a dilemma in choosing a good college where i can get maximum exposure in 3D animation field . i was checking Salford University , Vancouver film school and Academy of Arts University . They look pretty cool but its a tough choice . I'm ready to spend ,as long as they ensure employability and a good enough portfolio .

Old 04 April 2012   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread