Old 02-29-2012, 04:00 AM   #1
R9Lemon
portfolio
J Devinci
education
Oakville, Canada

Most sought after jobs with 3D?

Hello and thanks for your time,

I've been working as a 3D animator and illustrator for the past 9 years now. The subject matter I deal with is basically scientific, medical, technical. I have a science degree and a graphic arts degree from a popular art school. I have extensive 3ds max experience, some flash, some web. I'm not necessarily the special effects or gaming guy or not even the small studio guy, but more like the expert that can use 3D graphics for communications in technical, engineering, educational, scientific and medical firms.

I find over the past 10 years, the 3D industry has changed a Whole lot, from hyper realism, to motion capture, to stereo, to tablets, and now augmented reality. I also see now that the competition for 3D jobs, contracts, positions are even more fierce now due to world-wide competition in quality and in costs. (Companies seem to now look to Asia for quick, and well- made 3D work for a fraction of the cost.) My feeling is that surviving as a 3D artist/generalist nowdays and trying to make a long lasting career out of it is even more difficult and much more competitive then it used to be.

What can I do as 3D artist/generalist in a technical field to compliment my 3D skills to make me even more competitive and saught after so that I can find work, stay on the front edge, stay relevant, stay employed?

In your experiences or knowledge, what gives 3D artist the extra tools or the extra edge in todays vast multimedia and computer graphics world?

If my field of work is too particular and you dont have a comment, then just consider it to be any kind of work field

So in simplistic terms: 3D skills + XYZ = permanent, well paid, saught after, fulltime work
What is XYZ?

Looking for all your opinions.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
mr Bob
CG Sup
Mars
USA

Quote:
So in simplistic terms: 3D skills + XYZ = permanent, well paid, saught after, fulltime work
What is XYZ?

One skill thats certainly good to have is knowledge of Python and the ability to write tools. Those guys tend to be the first to get hired and the last to get fired.

b

Old 04-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

Yes I think I agree with that too . . . I was hired into my current studio a bit after this 1 guy who was their TD and pipeline programmer just quit the job. It was a mess. Such a vital position that not a whole lot of people can do.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
R9Lemon
portfolio
J Devinci
education
Oakville, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panupat
Yes I think I agree with that too . . . I was hired into my current studio a bit after this 1 guy who was their TD and pipeline programmer just quit the job. It was a mess. Such a vital position that not a whole lot of people can do.

So would it be accurate to suggest that having a combination in 3D graphic knowledge and experience along with any interactive computer programming experience (HTML5, XML, Python, Maxscript, etc), is more desired in the work place and get paid more money??

3D + computer programming = jobs??

Old 04-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread