Free Learning.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

12 December 2010
Thanks Cathy, added!

12 December 2010
oops

Looks like the link that I gave isn't showing up on your main post. :x

It's because I just copy/pasted it from my address bar and the url's too long...I'll put it through tinyurl:

http://tinyurl.com/ya4jff

12 December 2010
Yeah I tested the link to see it was what you said it was, it was. Should be fixed now though. Thanks for the tiny although the original wasn't that long. Will keep an eye on it.

01 January 2011
This was a priceless post from the standpoint of someone just starting out like myself... I particularly liked the part about forging ahead even though others will think your work is horrid. Great advice, thank your for taking the time to make such an informative post.

01 January 2011
Hey Chris, pleased to hear you found the post useful!

Cheers

05 May 2011
Hola. :)

http://animation.about.com/od/refer...reesoftware.htm

I found a list of free trials and software for 2d and 3d animation.

05 May 2011
Thanks Cathy!
Much of the stuff we have links to but not the trials. However quite a job to sort through them all so I will leave your link here for folks to find.

Thanks again.

09 September 2011
Help for the Intelluctually Impoverished.

From the "Learning" post I tried to download Pencil.
I have a bunch of stuff from that effort. 10 Files. Two tries and I have two Pencil files.
But cannot open the "Pencil" file.

Where is the "Operator Lead Through" for the "Software Challenged" old farts?
The page is full of info, but no instructions.
What to do next?

This reminds me of a Cop or Teacher trying to get some information or response from a Sullen student.

09 September 2011
Originally Posted by thudpucker: From the "Learning" post I tried to download Pencil.
I have a bunch of stuff from that effort. 10 Files. Two tries and I have two Pencil files.
But cannot open the "Pencil" file.

Where is the "Operator Lead Through" for the "Software Challenged" old farts?
The page is full of info, but no instructions.
What to do next?

This reminds me of a Cop or Teacher trying to get some information or response from a Sullen student.

From the website I saw the application is from 2008. Google pencil install problems brings these posts up. I would look for an alternative and if I dont hear from you that it works I will withdraw it from the list.
Quote: Oh dear, so this has been my third late night trying to install synfig! Is there something I'm missing? I mean, am I SUPPOSED to download all these different things before I can use it or is there one giant .EXE which I can just download and run. At least on this attempt they had instructions on how to install it, but I got a third of the way through, and they started explaining it like I know exactly what they're talking about. I'm an Animator, not a computer technician! Did you have any problems putting it together Will? I'm annoyed I spent a part of my night installing god knows what, just to get lost in a river of computer babble.

Not all free software is user friendly at the install stage I agree. Mostly though you can get it running with a bit of research, ..... not always though.

GL. man

Last edited by Kanga : 09 September 2011 at 08:19 PM.

09 September 2011
Smile

RE: Pencil,
I tried to download it again and got the same blank stare.

When I click on the little Pencil Icon, I get an err message:
"The Program can't start because < mingwm10.dll> is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I have Win-7 (Dell Inispiron) and don't know where to go from here.

09 September 2011
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findb...ssing-error.htm

Have a read. How to fix your problem.
You are lucky its windows, this error comes up more often so there are answers available.

09 September 2011
Unhappy

Many Thanks Kanga.
You scared me to death. I hardly know anything about PC's and that Win-7 Error table list finished me off.
I deleted all traces of Pencil and will go on with some other programs till I find one I can used without having Nightmares while learning.

09 September 2011
Originally Posted by thudpucker: Many Thanks Kanga.
You scared me to death. I hardly know anything about PC's and that Win-7 Error table list finished me off.
I deleted all traces of Pencil and will go on with some other programs till I find one I can used without having Nightmares while learning.

Ok
http://alternativeto.net/software/pencil/

09 September 2011
Smile

I'm still trying to make some thing work.
In school we trained on Adobe Illustrator. Whatta grand program suite that one is!
I could never afford that one though.
So we used InkScape as an alternative.
For some reason, during a long complex project in Ink-scape, the screen would go blank.
When you got the screen back your project was gone!
A defense was to save often, but nobody ever figured out why Ink-scape would just disappear off into cyber space.

I have to wait till after 2AM my time for all these long downloads. Still trying to get Pencil.
I need something with directions real handy.
Dick

09 September 2011
The inkscape problem sounds like a leak. In any case it isnt anything you can fix unless you can write software.

You need an alternative with a forum not just instructions. Lots of applications have communities of enthusiastic users often accompanied by the developers. You need a place you can ask questions.

I am mostly busy with 3d graphics and don't my way around 2d animation software. Perhaps the Animation guys and gals can give you a hand.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26

reply share thread