Getting a BA in art, should I go back for a BFA?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

04 April 2017
Getting a BA in art, should I go back for a BFA?

I've been attending college on a full ride in a rural part of California where the art program is severely underfunded. I went ahead and got a BA in Art with an emphasis in oil painting because it was the closest I could get to the kind of work I'm trying to get. There was no digital education whatsoever, although I did learn some adobe software through studying graphic design for a couple years.

In terms of "kind of work", I've narrowed it down to 3 things: digital illustration, storyboards, and color keys. This is subject to change because I don't have a thorough understanding of the niches that exist in a professional setting.

I've been employed as a student graphic designer, am familiar with Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign. I am part of two honors programs and am having a solo show of oil paintings in one month.
But I don't think any of this is relevant to what I want to do. I and am taking a year to work and build a digital portfolio. Online classes are my guide at the moment (I'm an Oatley Academy student). I also got a day pass to CTNX for more guidance and review on my progress.

If I feel like a BFA is essential, I will start applying to actual, certified art schools for Fall 2018. Will the degree help me at all with my job prospects or should I take a different route?

reply share thread