Dominance War IV - Minichallenge #2 - 2D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 05 May 2009   #61
Hi guy

one not much original, buy try to do some funny and easy.

Mini story: too much love for only one little dragon pet, this is all.

Good luck for everyone.

S.

sketch 2 ( Mini update )

Last edited by sadrack : 05 May 2009 at 06:00 AM.

Old 05 May 2009   #62
Hi everybody!

There is a problem with your submit link in the first post of this thread!

It is now - http://www.gameartisans.org/contest..._cgtalk_2d.html
This is incorrect link. CGTalk is russian team name on Dominance War and yours is CGSociety, isn't it?

I suspect that here is your submit page
http://www.gameartisans.org/contest...society_2d.html

BaronImpossible just uploaded his artwork to russian team page. I think he have to contact Fred about it. fredh@dominancewar.com

Old 05 May 2009   #63
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sadrack: Hi guy

one not much original, buy try to do some funny and easy.

Mini story: too much love for only one little dragon pet, this is all.

Good luck for everyone.

S.

sketch

Seems very original to me dude, good luck.

Old 05 May 2009   #64
Originally Posted by PELENG: Hi everybody!

There is a problem with your submit link in the first post of this thread!

It is now - http://www.gameartisans.org/contest..._cgtalk_2d.html
This is incorrect link. CGTalk is russian team name on Dominance War and yours is CGSociety, isn't it?

I suspect that here is your submit page
http://www.gameartisans.org/contest...society_2d.html

BaronImpossible just uploaded his artwork to russian team page. I think he have to contact Fred about it. fredh@dominancewar.com

ssssshhh, dont tell BaronImpossible about it it was god's intention.

back to the topic, thanks PELENG for directing us to the correct upload link so now we can submit our massive entries list to the dominance war IV:: mini Challenge 2 correctly =D, i'll try to contact this thread's moderator to see if we can get the correct link, link up.

and oyea, i am stalking your 2d mini 2 entry, PELENG. =P

---------------------edit: May 29, 2009 7:21pm CST--------
ok, i just finish sending pm to doylle regarding BOTH the 2d and 3d incorrect submission thread, once doylle gets it fix, it should be all rainbow and happy again, until then, make sure you guys dont submit yet, we still got 3 days guys, why the rush =P chillax
------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by PuiArt : 05 May 2009 at 12:23 AM.

Old 05 May 2009   #65
Wink

uffffffff after a busy, day i only prove colors

Old 05 May 2009   #66
Hi guys,

I fixed the links in the start post. I simply saw the CGTalk in the link and assumed those were ours, my bad.

If anybody made his submission already, please send me a PM with your information, and I'll pass this on to the DW organizers to make sure this gets fixed.

J

Old 05 May 2009   #67
to dof or not to dof, that is the question

thanks doylle for getting the link fix, now you "big kids" can just hustle down the bus, but whats the fun in ending the field trip so fast when there are 3 more days of museum to explore/go to.

after adding some more levels of detail to the piece, i am getting to the point of whether is it appropriate to add in depth of field or not, i have not seen any DW entries adding in dof as far as i am aware of, so i really don't want to jump the gun on this, so was wondering what you guys think, if anyone seen entry with dof, feel free to point me to the direction =). i have been aware that several yrs back then, dw 2 i think? that dof on 3d entries was not allow, i'll try to dig up some limitation on this, in the mean time, feel free to state your opinion a bit, i wont bite; only a little.

the below are two of the exact identical progress stage, one with dof, and one without, any prefences? style wise, i have no intention of holding anything back, as long as the piece look good, and better than my previous work, i'll take any suggestion, anything.

Last edited by PuiArt : 05 May 2009 at 07:50 PM.

Old 05 May 2009   #68
Trying to work out my own idea of what a sabertooth would look like from jaw and skull fossils photographs.

Old 05 May 2009   #69
Hi WIP-1

C&C are welcome.

Old 05 May 2009   #70
final concept

This is my final concept i like and i will go with this. All i need is the frame

Last edited by nzrkiwi : 05 May 2009 at 06:52 AM.

Old 05 May 2009   #71
i'll try what i can

nzrkiwi:: nice going so far, what type of frame would you be using? your composition elements definitely yells for attention =D, thinking of adding any background in mind?

sadrack::
overall, the amount of noise and shapes on your frame calls for more detail on the piece, furthermore, you mention initially that the theme was pretty much " spoil pet" so perhaps some placements of accessories that emphasize that theme can carry your piece, as a whole to a higher level, the general lighting of your image seems to carry from the left center of the piece, if so, then i think there will be a few hints of lights passing through the metal medallion if parts of it is empty/hollow; the gap between the right shoulder/side and the tent calls for a hint of shadow or some sort of element that can unify the odd blend of the two. there are a ton of protential that u can swing toward the piece; like more decoratives on the tent, dangling beads perhaps? markings and what not =)
thats overall what i would do for now to amp up the piece, there still alot can be done, and certainly everyone in the competition is adding in mad effort with the little extra time they have on their hands; if you have the extra time to spare that is =)

Alekzsander:: much can be say about the composition, but it is still a tad bit early stage to judge, what do you imagine your piece would be? what makes it so striking and convince us the reason why his flying toward us =) just a few noodles for the brain.

Gyorkland:: good initial sketch, have not seen you update your next progress yet, whats the deal, =)

DeadInTheAttic:: oh man, that goblin/ Huckleberry Finn is pimpin', there is a overall flatness to the piece still tho;unless you are leaning toward that style, cool =)

keep going guys, or you will be left behind to bite the dust, 2 more days, go go go!

make sure you guys keep checking on the progress on the other forums, like this one, be it competition, level adjustment, inspiration, perspiration or for purely stalking purposes

Last edited by PuiArt : 05 May 2009 at 10:11 AM.

Old 05 May 2009   #72
Thanks puiart i was going to use a classic master frames. Not sure what you mean by composition though. It is meant to be a portrait piece so i was going to use a triangular
composition. As for the background it would be dark background like most portraits i guess.
Or maybe i am wrong, can the pet portrait have a illustration like composition?

Old 05 May 2009   #73
nzrkiwi:: so sorry for the unclear criticism, what i meant by was, your beast is pretty much roaring out loud and holding the logo so close to the viewer that the overall composition is very aggressive per-say; like the DW IV demon logo with his paws, and giant wings pan out so open that its screeching for madness.

well, if you got updates, post em up, no holding back now, we got 2 more days, crank up your levers and forces your pulley to the maximin and past mach 5 speed, and if you already did, go past that!

yes, this piece can be any style you want, as long as the content is orginal and it means produce by you and what you imagine, not what everyone keep forcing ya to do, we CAN give you suggestions tho =). the content MUST contains the frame, forum logo and your contact infos, also, the image MUST NOT contain any parts of the master in it either, you can take a quick look at the rules on the first page to double check any elements that you are uncertain of, or just feel free to post the question here, we will answer em too, just as quick =)

Old 05 May 2009   #74
Oh thanks yeap i might have to slow it down hehe lol.I'm using a frame from one of my favourite artist rembradt frame. Oh can the frame be from a master frame though?

Last edited by nzrkiwi : 05 May 2009 at 12:00 PM.

Old 05 May 2009   #75
nzrkiwi:: good so far, and yes, the frame can be of any image i believe, does not necessary need be custom made. and no, don't slow down, the crazy people at the gameartisan is showering with crazy constructive critiques, the moment we slow down, they will past us from mars to Neptune!

alright, here is what i got so far; adding in flowers and vegetation and what not, running low on elements to trip out the image, what do you expect i am very close to adding in random butterflies fluttering around if no one stops me... hope i dont get to that point...lol

and crazy PELENG keeps poking in here too freaking often! , do you even sleep, dude?

Last edited by PuiArt : 05 May 2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: edited for the zillion time!

reply share thread