Dominance War IV - Minichallenge #2 - 3D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 05 May 2009   #16
Roc/raven/vulture

Here's one idea I might run with. Tons of crows and ravens where I live..just love them. Little nod of the head to one of my favourite movies and artists as well.

Roc/raven/turkey vulture..something along those lines.

Pic before feathers and then another with some added.

Last edited by Nethermind : 05 May 2009 at 02:22 AM.

Old 05 May 2009   #17
Alright here's the start of my entry, its going to be a baby Dragon sitting in the boot of his master. hope everyone likes the idea any comments crits are welcome Also just like to say awesome contest theme

Old 05 May 2009   #18
This will be my WIP thread for the second DW IV mini challenge. I assume that by starting this thread, I'm entered into the competition. If there is some other official bit of business I need to attend to in order to register, someone please let me know.

I started out just compositing photos of various animals until I found something that was interesting to my eye. I had no preconceived notion of what I wanted to make, this was pure exploration of shapes and textures. I left this super rough because once I get pointed in the right direction I like to hit the sketchbook as quickly as possible.

Eventually I ended up blending a frog, a lizard, a gnarly deep sea fish (astronesthes), and I gave it a falcon's hood as an accessory just for fun. Later I decided to nix the frog and give him a more slender body to invoke a sense of agility and sneakiness.

Then I spent some time sketching. I've been an animal owner my entire life, and I know that animals (domesticated ones at least) each have their own quirks and "personalities". This sketching phase gave me an opportunity to get to know who my animal was - what it's personality was like.

And now I've begin sculpting :]

Sabu is a Teacup Black Dragon. Teacups are engineered to be about the size of a ferret, and while much of their hostility has been bred out, they are only capable of being loyal to one person, and they imprint on that individual for life. Toward others they are generally only cruel and taunting. They live about thirty years. If a Teacup's master dies before it does, it's best to either kill the creature or set it free, for it will not accept another master - the bond is unbreakable.

Sabu is a scandalous, sneaky creature; and he is formidable when provoked or if he feels his master is in danger. He is named Sabu due to the unsettling noise he makes when he discovers something he finds interesting - a tasty morsel or some shiny thing.

Sabu's master is General Tsang. It is said that the General was born without a heart...except for when it comes to Sabu. The animal's diminutive size, agility in flight, and intelligence make it an ideal aid in secret tasks. Sabu is the General's closest friend and his most trusted soldier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg concept.jpg (68.5 KB, 535 views)
File Type: jpg conceptPage.jpg (96.3 KB, 521 views)

Last edited by DustinBrown : 05 May 2009 at 12:31 PM.

Old 05 May 2009   #19
Hexahedron -> thanks dude
some progress in 3d

Old 05 May 2009   #20
so here's a little update show the base of the dragon before i start sculpting

sanat49: cool concept looking forward to seeing it develop
Nethermind:
I'm loving the sculpt so far looks very cool!
DustinBrown:
I like the pet break down you did, look forward to seeing the sculpt of it

Old 05 May 2009   #21
here's just a quick update with the sculpting

Old 05 May 2009   #22
Thumbs up New Challenge? I'm in!

Great to have another chance to take part in DW. The mini challenge seems fun and it gives me some time to apply what I learnt during the main challenge.

I currently have no idea of what I am going to do but the first thing that came into my mind was a bust of a creature with loads and loads of fangs and razor sharp teeth and beneath a plaque on the bust saying "Nibbles."

I'll see what I can come up with.

Old 05 May 2009   #23
well i think I'm gonna take a shot at this
I'm in the same boat as Dustin brown not entered one of these before so i take it when i start posting WIP's then I'm entered?

dunno what I'm gonna do yet just gonna doodle and see what i come up with

Old 05 May 2009   #24
hello... i am new to this and i have no team or anything... how can i get in this?

Old 05 May 2009   #25
Originally Posted by luxi: hello... i am new to this and i have no team or anything... how can i get in this?

hiya Luxi, to enter the contest, its fairly easy; there is no obligation or requirements to enter, all you simply need to do is continue to submit work in progress of your idea to this post, make sure you meet the image requirements; locate on the first post on on this thread =)

make sure you submit your final via the link before the deadline on the initial message on this thread too.

Deadline: Monday June 1st 2009 - 11:59pm Eastern Time

your team is simply the forum you so chooses, your final image MUST also include that forum's logo on it; you would include the CgSociety logo this one; located at the Dominance War IV: FAQ thread, if you so choose to join in CgSociety, simple as that =D

if you have not join in any previous dominance war IV battle in any other forums, then it is perfectly acceptable to join in any you so chooses, while this thread is for the 3D-WIP thread section, if you want to submit the 2D-WIP is here, or submit to both categories, your choice =D.

make sure you get your gears on, this is gonna be one hell of a ride

Old 05 May 2009   #26
wow... thx for that lightning fast answer... i guess now its off to work!!!

Old 05 May 2009   #27
here is mine:

I'll upload a "making of" video soon...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pet_WIP.jpg (86.9 KB, 291 views)

Old 05 May 2009   #28
Hello, here is my idea for a Cruel Bear, concept and the sculpting wip

Old 05 May 2009   #29
nice progress everyone!

hi Eredhel, cool start but your character show nearly ~60% of full bear..
in rules "Only show 45% maximum of your pet"
good luck and keep it up!

and my some progress

Old 05 May 2009   #30
Hey there ^^

I'm heading on something quite simple. I plan to create something between a sphynx cat and a puma, with a grim look of course. ^^ Starting to block shapes.

reply share thread