DWIV - 2D - Amaroo - Clericon Maiya

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2009   #1
DWIV - 2D - Amaroo - Clericon Maiya

I am very excited to be part of such a great event. Hope to have enough spare time to finish what I have started.
I am pretty much into cute girl characters and cartoon stylization, so that's what I hope to achieve with this one.

I already have some idea about my character, her skills and magic powers, but need to think the whole thing over a little bit more, before sharing my story with you.

FINAL WORK:

Last edited by Amaroo : 05 May 2009 at 02:54 PM.

Old 03 March 2009   #2

My first sketch of Maiya...

Another pretty quick sketch, showing the character in a different pose.

Last edited by Amaroo : 04 April 2009 at 02:54 PM.

Old 04 April 2009   #3
refs

My character Maiya is supposed to be a forest creature, a mutant or perhaps a pixie, that has strong nature magic abilities, she is also able to heal herself when in need and has certain tools to fool her foes and daze them with the use of false tentacles, attract them with her bright colors and leave them breathless with her beauty. She is alluring but merciless, her mind set is rather primitive and based on instincts.

So here are some of the references I am going to use and base my character upon. I often make these ref sheets, when I need to create something specific, because that gives me the opportunity to focus better and always have my refs ready. My basic inspiration themes for now are - rio carnaval costumes, butterflies and flowers.

Old 04 April 2009   #4
color sketch

here is my first color sketch with a little bit more detail, just trying different things to see what is working best for my idea

Old 04 April 2009   #5
Too good work.... keep going , i like your Basic concept

Old 04 April 2009   #6
Sexy

If you need some more references, just look for illustrations by Boris Vallejo, Julie Bell (now married with Vallejo) or perhaps Frank Frazetta. They created characters resembling yours.

Old 04 April 2009   #7
Nice to see another clericon here.. Good concept! those vibrant colours will look really great with this character..

SKETCH THREAD

Old 04 April 2009   #8
looks like your off to a good start there is something that bothers me and thats the head. Its stuck rigidly on a vertical center axis, and considering the flowing nature of her light touch mounting the log, it seems extremely out of place. especially with the hair just sort of hovering. lower the head or break the axis i think would be a relatively minor fix that does a lot.

Old 04 April 2009   #9
thank you for the support, guys!
my concepts still lack a lot of detail and originality, I am afraid, but I am still searching for the right ideas

peteywaz - you are absolutely right about the head, I should correct the line of her posture with my next post

Old 04 April 2009   #10
been a while since my last post, but here are some quick costume thumbs

Old 04 April 2009   #11
I think you have some nice going on here I don't be too worried about the lack of originality in your character. It seems to me, most of the entries that do well, are the ones that are executed best.

Old 05 May 2009   #12
update

some update of my character
this is a wip of my concept illustration piece
everything is very loose right now, and could be changed at any moment

Old 05 May 2009   #13
wip

a work in progress shot
I am pretty glad we all have another week to finish up, otherwise I would not have enough time for mine

Old 05 May 2009   #14
Wip 2

a more refined WIP

Old 05 May 2009   #15
DWIV - concept sheet

Here is what so far I call my Concept Sheet entry for the contest.

Thread Closed share thread