Old 03-16-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
rhemrev
Crunchtime-out please!

portfolio
Edwin Rhemrev
Lead Concept artist
Netherlands

Send a message via MSN to rhemrev
Post DWIV - 2D - Rhemrev - Monkey Mayhem!

Hey people,

I thought I'd start a thread aswell, so i'm officially participating in my very first Dominace Wars, jeeeh! I've already done some quick sketches on the train to work today, I'll be sure to post them somewhere this week.

Still not sure what characterclass to pick though, so expect to see my first batches of Idea sketches to go all over the place.....I do know I want to do something with monkeys....can't go wrong with monkeys, right? :P

I'll probably work on my entry most during weekends (and 7 minute trainrides from and to work), here's the rough planning:

April 5th: Come up with main idea + rough design of character(s)
April 19th: Finalize design and create turnaround poses
April 26th: Detailed (pencil) layout + posing of Final Image.
May 3rd: Final drawing fully painted.
May 9th: Graphic Design and Layout of all images done + submission

And now let's hope life & work permit me to keep this schedule...:P

Stay tuned,
-Edwin

Old 03-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
rhemrev
Crunchtime-out please!

portfolio
Edwin Rhemrev
Lead Concept artist
Netherlands

Arrow

Hey Guys!

I finally had some time to scan some of the doodles I did for this contest so far. I hadn't really decided on what characterclass to pick, so I did some random sketches in various classes.

I never actually draw much tech stuff, but I rather enjoyed sketching out the above robots.....I realy did Ps3games like ratchet and Clank, and might do some more exploration on those kinda characters.

The last sketch of the above collage triggered me to go into a gollem direction, which resulted in below 2 sketches:

I still have to decide what direction to go in, but the giants seem to have that epic scope neccessary to even stand a chance in this competition...

Basic story I cooked up while sketching out the last giant:

The world is at war, and a small village last resort is to flee to the small, stonehenge-like ruins at the rim of their village, of which Legends are told to have great power of protection in times of perril.

Never knowing this protection would come in the form of a giant gollem that awakes under their village. The main task of the gollem when activated is to gather up all neccesary supplies to start a new civilization far away from the battlefield.

Other Ideas/plotlines I came up with is to weave the story of Noah's arc in there.

'March of the Noahs' would be an appropriate title, as the gollem itself acts as the arc, collecting and preserving life in the form of pairs of animals, people and supllies.

A bit tougher to accomplish, but could be a good excuse to draw some cool animals

Well, that's what I got sofar, feedback much appreciated!

I hope I'll be able to do some more work on the contest this week, but as I'm in the middle of crunchtime at work (wrapping up development on Overlord 2, in stores this June! ), I'd be surprised if I get any sleep at all...

Thanx for looking,

-Edwin
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED IMAGES:

Last edited by rhemrev : 03-30-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:51 AM   #3
GaeasHerald
Storyteller

portfolio
Gerardo Lin
Montevideo, Uruguay

Edwin, the golem direction is the way to go my friend! I don't have anything against monkeys, but the golem sketches just blew me away, particullary the second one.
My only tiny suggestion is to distort his proportions a bit, while keeping the humanoid shape. For instance, making him really tall and thin or very short and wide.
It also might be interesting if he had no eyes at all.

Anyway, great start!

DOMINANCE WAR IV

DOMINANCE WAR V

Old 03-24-2009, 07:33 AM   #4
rhemrev
Crunchtime-out please!

portfolio
Edwin Rhemrev
Lead Concept artist
Netherlands

Hey man, thanx for the comments! And yeah, I"m defenitely going to pursue the gollem/giant direction some more, and the no-eye approach might be a direction worth exploring. I do want to keep that friendly expression on his face he has now though. Might be a good idea to break up the gollem into individual design parts already, like the face, proportions, houses, etc, just to start exploring the theme and world this guy lives in..

thanx again, more sketches coming soon

-Edwin

Old 03-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
FrozZT
Lord of the posts

portfolio
hh hh
Artist
San Marino

Send a message via MSN to FrozZT
Hey man! Nice style . I like what you've been doing so far, i like the bottom two in the thumbs and the bottom giant. Make sure you do some work on your characterdesign without the distraction of surrounding environments aswell, so that you make sure you focus on the characters shapes and design. If the character is strong in itself you could then greately enhance that with an environment in the final illustration. I guess you are just warming up and playing with ideas, maybe keep doing that until you find something interesting to work with though. Keep up the good work!

-Niklas

Old 03-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
MartinNielsen
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Martin Nielsen
3d artist / Illustrator
Climax Games
Portsmouth, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to MartinNielsen
Nice stuff I think the bottom character on the first drawing looks most interesting. Either way, you have some good starting points in all your designs.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
BaronImpossible
Dr Ass-hat-on

portfolio
Simon Dominic
Illustrator
United Kingdom

The giants are cool but I actually prefer the fat guy at the bottom of the first sheet - he has great character. Keep the ideas coming!

Old 03-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
syrez-one
the viruz

portfolio
patrick hecht
Munich, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to syrez-one
i like your style, very cartoony! your mini entry was great too! the guy baronimpossible pointed out, shows alot potential character to me too,. but the golem giants idea seem worth an exploration..

hope to see alot more of this great stuff

Old 03-24-2009, 10:21 PM   #9
rhemrev
Crunchtime-out please!

portfolio
Edwin Rhemrev
Lead Concept artist
Netherlands

Frozzt: some good points, thanx! Most of my sketches sofar were just to explore directions and ideas, but now that I've got the giant direction,it's indeed time to start 'designing'. Main thing now is to establish the 'base look'for the golem, indeed without all the environmental elements, and go from there. I already did some sketches with this suggested approach, and seems to be paying off. I'll hope to find time to post my progress tomorrow ok!

Martin: thanx man, generating ideas is always the most fun part, but making all design and story elements come together in 1 image, that's a whole other thing.....

Baron: Thanx for dropping in man, much appreciated! Everybody seems to be digging the more simple giant design of the first sketch collage, so I'm going to explore that type of face/build further in my next sketches....I think it's all about bringing emotion to the face, which seems to be lacking in my last 2 giantsketches....

Syrez: Thanx man, and yeah, the minichallenge was indeed alot of fun! Now if they'd only put up the ones that go through to the next round....*sigh* As already mentioned,I"m going to explore the base version of the golem first, and focus on the proportions and head/expression first, before bringing in all other elements. Expect more giant exploration sketches soon!

Thanx for the support all!

-Edwin

Last edited by rhemrev : 03-26-2009 at 07:26 AM.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
PeterBraeley
Veteran

portfolio
Peter Braeley
Mississauga, Canada

hey, the golem sounds like a good idea, can't wait to see some more from you!!!

Love the sketches!!

Old 03-25-2009, 10:23 PM   #11
rhemrev
Crunchtime-out please!

portfolio
Edwin Rhemrev
Lead Concept artist
Netherlands

Smile Gollem Exploration

Between doing overtime and moving alot of furniture around, here are 2 sketches I managed to squeeze in. I'm currently exploring his build/proportions + look/emotion of the gollem.

I want him to look larger then life and damn impressive, but also give him alot of character. To do this I'll probably give him 1 distinct emotion, and 'sadness' might be the way to go to distinct my character from the rest of entries in this contest (as most characters are rather angry and violent if I look around the boards ). But, I also tried a happy face, as an over the top - happy entry might be a really cool direction aswell.

Any feedback on the sketches is more then welcome!

More proportion & head sketches coming soon

-Edwin

Last edited by rhemrev : 03-25-2009 at 10:37 PM.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #12
syrez-one
the viruz

portfolio
patrick hecht
Munich, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to syrez-one
the happy direction really made me smile, you're developing strong characterstics into your sketches. like with your mini i can fastly see what type of guy this is i like the happy one alot.. its different as you say!

Old 03-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
rhemrev
Crunchtime-out please!

portfolio
Edwin Rhemrev
Lead Concept artist
Netherlands

ha, if it makes you smile then the drawing did exactly what it had to do! I'll do some more happy and sad facesketches tonight, and post them tomorrow ok!

-E-

Old 03-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #14
sadrack
viva la salsa !!!

Gustavo Avila
freelance - animator
neoanimación
Caracas, Venezuela

Thumbs up

Hi

I hope you can finish all the WIP and works and of course sleep too jeje, i like a lot the happy face study, very fresh concept in the DWIV with all the demon around, i want to see more follow your thread, good luck.

DWIV.

Last edited by sadrack : 03-27-2009 at 04:06 AM.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:36 PM   #15
rhemrev
Crunchtime-out please!

portfolio
Edwin Rhemrev
Lead Concept artist
Netherlands

Thanx sadrack! Good to hear you regard my idea as 'fresh', because that's exactly what I want to do, make a difference through the idea and emotion of the piece, and less on how well it's painted, lighted or whatever........ And about people following my thread; I should probably update more often, but I just don't have the time at the moment.And besides, I kinda like the low-profile, otherwise other people might start drawing similar stuff :P

Back to work,
-Edwin

Thread Closed share thread