Dominance War IV : General Discussion

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 03 March 2009   #61
Originally Posted by RaDeaton: Does anyone have any ideas about what the main challenge might be about this time?
Any inside info or maybe just a speculation or two?

I can't wait.
I suspect it's going to be something having to do with the battle between heaven and hell, but I could be wildly off.

Old 03 March 2009   #62
Originally Posted by Swizzle: I suspect it's going to be something having to do with the battle between heaven and hell, but I could be wildly off.

Really? What makes you think it has to do with heaven and hell?

Oh, and by the by...Luchador Bats...VERY NICE!!!

Old 03 March 2009   #63
Originally Posted by RaDeaton: Really? What makes you think it has to do with heaven and hell?

Oh, and by the by...Luchador Bats...VERY NICE!!!
The logo character this year closely resembles illustrations and descriptions of Satan from Dante's Inferno. Last year people guessed right that it was going to be fantasy-themed because of the logo character.

Thanks, by the way. I really need to go back and redo that character. I'm not satisfied with him and I have some new ideas for him that I think would improve him greatly.

Old 03 March 2009   #64
Hi everyone

Thx Swizzle mate, usefull stuff

One question I had for uz lot, its the first time ill participate in the DW, regarding concept art, are we suposed to create it ourselves or can we use pre existing concept ? I know its good to try it all out but i dont think my concept creating skills ( xD ) are up to the task.

Also typicaly are all rendering solutions allowed ?

K

Old 03 March 2009   #65
Originally Posted by Kharn-ivor: Hi everyone

Thx Swizzle mate, usefull stuff

One question I had for uz lot, its the first time ill participate in the DW, regarding concept art, are we suposed to create it ourselves or can we use pre existing concept ? I know its good to try it all out but i dont think my concept creating skills ( xD ) are up to the task.

Also typicaly are all rendering solutions allowed ?

K

I would be extremely surprised if existing concepts would be OK. The comp is half about how awesome your imagination is.

Also, in previous years no advanced techniques like GI or SSS are allowed. They were quite picky even with the real time shaders last year.

Old 03 March 2009   #66
Really looking forward to the main event, im assuming its going to start at midnight tonight EST (about 5am GMT). The mini comp started at midnight if memory serves.

Dont want to have to wait till the end of tomorrow for it to begin

Old 03 March 2009   #67
Is it just me or does Dominance War just seem to be a big organizational nightmare? I mean there is a challenge going on now, but it's not really the main challenge, there's multiple segments, sets of rules, multiple categories, meshes or no meshes and then, there's yet another sub challenge maybe in the offing.. Oh yeah, if you go to dominancewar.com there will be no rules there for any of this. I just want to try to enter into the main challenge. I just want to try to enter the main challenge and I feel like I got sucked into a maelstrom.

Old 03 March 2009   #68
DomWar is definitely a nightmare when it comes to organization. The past two started late because the site was getting hammered and Fred had his hands full getting everything up and running properly. It took something like a week to get everything ironed out and working smoothly.

Regardless, it seems Fred and company have a better handle on things this year. I'm hoping they can get everything going without a hitch.

Old 03 March 2009   #69
Originally Posted by Seven: Really looking forward to the main event, im assuming its going to start at midnight tonight EST (about 5am GMT). The mini comp started at midnight if memory serves.

Dont want to have to wait till the end of tomorrow for it to begin

the main challenge won't start on the 12th (like the site says). it will start soon.

Old 03 March 2009   #70
Bummer,

Was planing on staying up to do some work on it. I'm on the edge of my seat here...

Old 03 March 2009   #71
Originally Posted by heavyness: the main challenge won't start on the 12th (like the site says). it will start soon.

Well... That's just a big kick in the Nurbs Spheres.

Old 03 March 2009   #72
Yah total bummer. I've been checking the site daily at work waiting for the rules and theme for this year. I've decided to enter, and I can't wait for it to begin. *Crosses fingers*

www.robcolavito.com - My Portfolio

Old 03 March 2009   #73
NOOOOOOOOO!!! I felt soo inspired today, you just killed me.

Old 03 March 2009   #74
???

Any word yet on when they will announce the top 5's? I am really curious to see who made it in. Lots of great work all around!

Old 03 March 2009   #75
DomWar is definitely a nightmare when it comes to organization.

yep!, can be quite frustrating these big clocks that goes 3,,2,1......and then just nothing.....
Especially when you're on tight deadlines & stuff yourself.
I sure understand this has to be a lot of work but would have hoped these scheduling issues would have been solved for the 4th edition.

Anyway we are still the 12th...
Come on GA!

Last edited by OKMER : 03 March 2009 at 10:32 PM.

reply share thread