Dominance War IV : FAQ

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2009
Right - the judging isn't over until June, but it sounded like people thought there was another mini challenge they could enter into before the main challenge began. In that regard, the mini challenges are over - me thinks.

edit: although... the headings for the threads for both the 3d and 2d mini challenges say mini challenge #1... so things are a bit ambiguous.

Last edited by lostpencil : 03 March 2009 at 08:28 PM.

03 March 2009
From what I have heard the 2nd minichallenge will happen after the main challenge

03 March 2009
That would explain the ambiguity! I just figured people would be out of steam to have another mini at the end. But I failed to consider that one doesn't have to enter the main challenge in order to enter the mini's. No doubt all will be made clear in due time.

03 March 2009
thanks

Thanks LostPencil, I knew I read something somewhere but couldn't remember where it was.

I wish that the 2nd mini was going on now. But on the plus side only a week left until the war begins!!!

03 March 2009
DW IV - Mini Challenge #2 (May 2009)

03 March 2009
to sign up for the main event im assuming there will be a thread in the dominance war IV forum thats dominance war IV Epic main event, and then you start your own thread within that thread posting WIP pictures throughout the comp. correct me if I am wrong.

03 March 2009
Originally Posted by nobrows27: to sign up for the main event im assuming there will be a thread in the dominance war IV forum thats dominance war IV Epic main event, and then you start your own thread within that thread posting WIP pictures throughout the comp. correct me if I am wrong.

you are correct.

03 March 2009
is CgSociety friendly to the support they give to fresh talent, this year will be more of a learning experience as I am alwas looking to improve my skills and I think the best team to join this year would be a team that is friendly in giving advice, criticism etc... I am hoping that this competition will help me get good enough to play with the big boys next year. and who know's If I'm lucky I may be able to compete with them this year although I am lacking in the experience departmen. But I will deffinatly give it my all

one last question, If I registered as a different name on the dominance war site then my user on cgsociety will that affect anything? or is it fine, Its not too far off on gameartisan i am nobrows on here I'm nobrows27 do I have to reregister under the same user as mine here?

Last edited by nobrows27 : 03 March 2009 at 07:19 AM.

03 March 2009
2 Questions:

1) I remember the controversy regarding the rules on shaders of last years, and this year it sounds like the rules have not changed if I've understood them correctly?
Meaning you're not allowed to make your own shaders in node-based shader editors but you're allowed/supposed to search around in game engines/editors and 3D packages shader libraries/packs, and use those with your own maps, correct?

Some extra (superfluous if you will?) clarification of that rule might be in order imo given the debate may arise this year aswell and it seems to me the wording of this years still opens for uncertainty (perhaps not merely out of the logic in the writing but perhaps because of varying expectations on the readers' parts).

It's a slightly different situation today aswell with availability of good and freeware realtime shader editors which may affect presumptions, expectations and opinions etc.

2) We're back to forums (voting? and) choosing forum-uniform races now? That's how I understood the rules.
Or does each individual choose his race (and class) individually?

03 March 2009
DWIV threads up and start creating your threads...!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=282&t=740728

03 March 2009
is there not a seperate forum for 2d and 3d? they are just lumped together?

03 March 2009
SO just a quick question because I'm not clear. If we are entering we just have to make the thread here on CGS correct? We don't have to sign up anywhere on Gameartisans.org? OR do we have to go through that Join Now process on their website as wel?

www.robcolavito.com - My Portfolio

03 March 2009
Originally Posted by colarn42: SO just a quick question because I'm not clear. If we are entering we just have to make the thread here on CGS correct? We don't have to sign up anywhere on Gameartisans.org? OR do we have to go through that Join Now process on their website as wel?

no you don't have to sign up on the GA/DWIV site yet... just start a thread here and get to work. once you want to submit your work, you will have to sign-up on GA site.

03 March 2009
demons color palette

where do i get the color palette for the demons ?! , i mean it says in the rules "Your character MUST possess your team's colors and/or your team's insignia/logo." ??
what does it mean ?!

03 March 2009
just a quick question ... What is the latest i can start a thread before the Deadline? i want to participate again but ive been very busy lately.

reply share thread