DWIV - 3D - Yin-Shiuan - The Darkness of Demon Lord

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2009
It's a shame you changed the design it was really looking good. but I like the new version a lot as well! Keep it up!

04 April 2009
I like the overall design a lot, nice attention to detail!.

My only crit is that the legs seem too long. I am imagining this critter running around and looking a little too bouncy. I tweeked it a little here to what I think would work.

04 April 2009
Thanks all comments!

The hi poly stage is done. Next, bake & draw Textures.

Hi poly model pose test:

Low poly counts:

Normal map test render:

I have some questions for my process.

For myself example:

ZBrush is crash when I export higest level obj file(over 1500000 poly counts).

xNormal is crash when I bake a normal map(4096*4096, antialising 4x)

xNormal is very very slow when I bake AO map.

I know my computer is old type(may be 3 or 4 years...), P4, 2G RAM, but, My problems is normal? or not?

I only use maya mental ray render, that's ok? what render engine and shade is your uses?
Thanks all folks!

Last edited by Yin-Shiuan : 04 April 2009 at 04:22 PM.

04 April 2009
COOL MODEL
好久沒看你po圖了...終於有新進度做的不錯!!

04 April 2009
hhhjun:

Thanks.
最近忙著趕落後的進度啊~
謝謝。

04 April 2009
Hey Yin-Shiuan, nice work!

For your question about xNormal, I believe the program become very slow when you want to use AA, especially on older machines. I ended up baking mine at 4k using only 1x sampling which looked fine, I would suggest you do the same.

I actually have a question for you too, this is my first time using normal maps, and I am having trouble rendering them using mental ray. What software are you using to render your low poly, and is there anything special you are doing to it?

04 April 2009
Untamed:
Thanks for your suggest!

About of your question:

I am Maya user. I use Maya8.5 to do DWIV job.

In Maya8.5(or higher version), you can directly render normal map from mental ray(if you are lower version, you must connect shade nodes or use some plugins)

Use normal map in Maya, connect normal map file to bump of your shade node. Just notice that your bump attribute must be changed to "Tangent Space Normals". And then, switch to mental ray engine, click render, done.

If you are a Max user, as well as connect normal map file to bump of your material shade, but in bump attribute you should be selected "norml bump".

I am not really understand other software settings, if you have any troubles, welcome discussing here, good luck.^^

04 April 2009
L:ooking good man can't wait for the rest of the textures. the sculpt is really well done to! good job!

05 May 2009
I havent had xnormal crash but have had it stop saying that my comp is out of mem. I'm just rendering at 2048 though. If the zbrush crash is happening every time then its probably your machine's limit. You could probably just split the mesh into 2 subtools and then export them out separately. Since you are using xnormal you can just load both pieces as the high res. I noticed that it did kinda make a seam when I did that but if you choose a good location it might not be noticeable.. or just clean the seam up in ps.

I think it was maya 2008/2009 that will let you render normals in mental ray. Otherwise I'd use the JSnormalmapper plugin or the headus one.

05 May 2009
Stutts:

Thank your! I must finish my texture hurry!^^||| Deadline is coming.

blake1999:

Thanks!
I do your way, too.^^
I use Maya8.5 that can let me render normal map in mantal ray. It is needless any plugins.

05 May 2009
Thanks God! Thanks DWIV organizer!

The deadline is extended!

This is my new update.

Friends, what lighting & rendering solutions are your choice?

Good luck everyone!^^

render test:

05 May 2009
nice textures man! I like it a lot good job!

05 May 2009
that's cool! the first almost finished one i see out here! are you planning to put tht glow also on those things on the hips? it would frame it nicely!

HCM#25 Oceans

05 May 2009
Stutts:

Thank you!

StefanoDubay:

Yeah, I want to try out glow it(two mouth), but I'm still to find a better result because I don't want to blur my character focus.
So many hard~.

05 May 2009
Good stuff I think if you add a bit of blue back light, your render scene will look even better. Especially when you already have those red colors on the character.

Thread Closed share thread