CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > NVArt Competitions > NVArt - Surreal
Login register
Untitled Document
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 12-17-2008, 12:05 AM   #31
smiljan66
Veteran
portfolio
smiljan pecjak Laserna
freelancer
xxx
Bogota, Colombia

question final too

what is the resolution for landscape render output? i mean the final image in landscape style?

Old 12-17-2008, 08:33 AM   #32
Fashmir
Lint Thief

portfolio
David Manuel
Concept/Story Artist
Bent Image Lab
Vancouver, USA

I have a question that has been bugging me about the foliage treatment described in the guide. I understand that for the most part you are speaking to 3D artists as evidenced by the terms and language used to convey the various concepts. At one point you say ..." and avoiding any intersections" and ..."Make sure not to have any overlaps." This is very specific and yet for me, it is also unclear. I understand that the reference to intersections could be directed at 3D artists, admonishing them to avoid interpenetrating geometry, but no overlaps is confusing. Your example images of the leaves have some beautiful overlapping going on. I would like to fully understand this before spending too much time on the gazillion leaves I have planned for my image.

Last edited by Fashmir : 12-17-2008 at 09:54 AM.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #33
smiljan66
Veteran
portfolio
smiljan pecjak Laserna
freelancer
xxx
Bogota, Colombia

please answer this so i can strt working

1. the image final is portarit or landscape i mean 2560+1600 is horizontal right? what if i want my final image vertical?
1. can we use bum maps and displacement or just displacement keeping one color in the matreial? i mean i will use ambient occlusion in light material but can i put some bump and dispalcement? thanks

Old 12-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #34
Mucus
Happy Mantis

portfolio
Christophe Tritz
France

Send a message via MSN to Mucus
Quote:
1. the image final is portarit or landscape i mean 2560+1600 is horizontal right? what if i want my final image vertical?

I believe this question have been answered: the only resolution accepter is 2560x1600, so if you want a vertical render, you will have to use black borders

Quote:
1. can we use bum maps and displacement or just displacement keeping one color in the matreial? i mean i will use ambient occlusion in light material but can i put some bump and dispalcement? thanks

Well I'm not in the contest team but I think that displacement are used to create forms and shapes, so I really don't see why they would be forbidden? Then if bump mapping are used to create a style like yarek's style, I think it's good too

In fact I think there is no restriction in technique as long as they are used to make a picture like Yarek do.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #35
smiljan66
Veteran
portfolio
smiljan pecjak Laserna
freelancer
xxx
Bogota, Colombia

hi

well thanks for the resolution explain but thye dministrator tell us if its permited , and thanks for your supportl us if its permited , and thanks for your support

Old 12-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #36
smiljan66
Veteran
portfolio
smiljan pecjak Laserna
freelancer
xxx
Bogota, Colombia

please help

Help ambient oclussion in 3d max takes hours of render is there othway to approach the occlusion ambientadow? waht i do oclussion ambient takes long , i have a 2 quad core 6600 with 8 gb of ram , and with it take too much time is there a way to get the result of ambient oclussion wiothout using the 3d max ambient oclussion in the material , because it takes too long...thanks

Old 12-17-2008, 09:55 PM   #37
smiljan66
Veteran
portfolio
smiljan pecjak Laserna
freelancer
xxx
Bogota, Colombia

hi

For get it i found hw to do it i will use ambient oclusion but in another render the thing is more easy and cheapper thanks anyway

Old 12-18-2008, 02:19 AM   #38
smiljan66
Veteran
portfolio
smiljan pecjak Laserna
freelancer
xxx
Bogota, Colombia

ok now yes the last question

can i put in my final image a comentary like ... all done in 3d max...can i?

Old 12-19-2008, 01:55 AM   #39
salmonmoose
Moose Administrator

portfolio
Anton Fletcher
Gluing captions to cats
Ballistic Media
Australia

Send a message via ICQ to salmonmoose Send a message via AIM to salmonmoose Send a message via MSN to salmonmoose Send a message via Yahoo to salmonmoose
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiljan66

if you want a vertical image you need to make it fit in the set size.

yes.

Twitter: salmonmoose

Old 12-19-2008, 01:56 AM   #40
salmonmoose
Moose Administrator

portfolio
Anton Fletcher
Gluing captions to cats
Ballistic Media
Australia

Send a message via ICQ to salmonmoose Send a message via AIM to salmonmoose Send a message via MSN to salmonmoose Send a message via Yahoo to salmonmoose
Quote:
Help ambient oclussion in 3d max takes hours of render is there othway to approach the occlusion ambientadow? waht i do oclussion ambient takes long , i have a 2 quad core 6600 with 8 gb of ram , and with it take too much time is there a way to get the result of ambient oclussion wiothout using the 3d max ambient oclussion in the material , because it takes too long...thanks

It shouldn't take that long - your settings are too high - crank them back and work up.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:56 AM   #41
salmonmoose
Moose Administrator

portfolio
Anton Fletcher
Gluing captions to cats
Ballistic Media
Australia

Quote:
can i put in my final image a comentary like ... all done in 3d max...can i?

put it in the description

Old 12-19-2008, 06:05 AM   #42
Fashmir
Lint Thief

portfolio
David Manuel
Concept/Story Artist
Bent Image Lab
Vancouver, USA

Ok. So did I miss the post on the secret handshake required to get an answer to a question or have I posted in the wrong place?

Old 12-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #43
Magnel
portfolio
Wade Logan
Director; Concept Artist
Electric Magic, Inc.
Flemingsburg, USA

Send a message via MSN to Magnel
This may have been already answered, but I didn't catch it:

Is the image we post final? Or can it be updated, I'm was almost sure I checked every inch of my painting before I posted it, but after seeing it in context I see several horrible mistakes jumping out?

Old 12-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #44
koch1no
portfolio
David Eduardo Niño Medina
freelance
Bogota, Colombia

A simple Question

Hi fellas, i have been uploading my artwork but it have not appear among the others entrys... what had happened? the upload goes fine and with no issues...
thx 4 ur cooperation

Old 12-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #45
Kjello
Veteran
portfolio
Kjell Ove Vuttudal
Bergen, Norway

Is it possible to create a thread for my artwork without using "Submit entry"? I would like to discuss some of my sketches, but haven't decided which one to go with or anything yet.

reply share thread