Faq

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Untitled Document
REPLY TO THREAD

Old 12 December 2008   #16
can the resolution be 1600 x 2650? portrait style?

Old 12 December 2008   #17
question

1.in the final image we have to say how we do the image if is 3d or 2d composition and the sofware too like n3d max?
2. the instructions of the style paint color that we have to achieve , what happends if someone put shadows or dont get the same inmk and paint style that would be desqualified or will have les spoint with judges?
3. why there are permited 2d and 3d images? i tough this was a 3d challenge
4. how many images can i put in the contest? i would like to post 3 images can i?
5. using ambient oclusion drops a shadow that is permited?
6. last thing can i usea a standar material and a texture in mi difusse and ambient oclussion in my selfillumination?

Last edited by smiljan66 : 12 December 2008 at 10:57 PM.

Old 12 December 2008   #18
Originally Posted by Mucus: Hello all!

Well I got questions which are not technical at all, so I hope it's alright to post it here:

1. Why did you choose to make a "final entry only" contest instead of a work in progress area?
2. Is that possible for people who wish to share their work and are looking for advices to create a work in progress thread?
3. Finally, I'm really surprised that Yacek Yerka is not part of the judges, but will him have a word to say on winners?

So this is not question about creation, but rather for my curiosity (hope it's ok...)
By the way, big thank to you for organize a so original contest!

1 - We have a work in progress challenge - the NVArt challenges are designed to appeal to a different set of people than the CGChallenges.

2 - Yes, you can use the WIP section of the site - however you'll need to host the images yourself.

Twitter: salmonmoose

Old 12 December 2008   #19
Originally Posted by CoryCosper: can the resolution be 1600 x 2650? portrait style?

No.

Only the specified resolution may be uploaded, if you wish to use a portrait aspect, you'll need to use black-bars. The size was chosen as it's the resolution of 30" monitors.

Old 12 December 2008   #20
Originally Posted by smiljan66: 1.in the final image we have to say how we do the image if is 3d or 2d composition and the sofware too like n3d max?
2. the instructions of the style paint color that we have to achieve , what happends if someone put shadows or dont get the same inmk and paint style that would be desqualified or will have les spoint with judges?
3. why there are permited 2d and 3d images? i tough this was a 3d challenge
4. how many images can i put in the contest? i would like to post 3 images can i?
5. using ambient oclusion drops a shadow that is permited?
6. last thing can i usea a standar material and a texture in mi difusse and ambient oclussion in my selfillumination?

1 - How you made an image is not part of the requirements, although if we doubt the process is digital we may ask you.

2 - If people don't match the look and feel we're after, then they're not going to do as well.

3 - We don't like to discriminate - so long as the image is digitally created, it's eligible.

4 - as many as you like we'd prefer you put a lot of effort into one image, than a small amount into several images.

5 - yes

6 - yes

Old 12 December 2008   #21
Originally Posted by mdlebson: Similar question to some of the others...

Are these images supposed to be 3d/2d recreations of his paintings, or, compositions that we create which pay homage to things found in the art of Jacek, or, do we just use his art style and create something completely on our own that just emulates this actual painting style?

We do not want recreations of Jacek's work, what we're looking for is work that has similar colors and shapes.

Old 12 December 2008   #22
I just have a question before going on my composition...hard to tell...in fact I'm asking myself, where is the line between reproduction and personal work?

I mean, there is recurrent themes, forms (the waves, the locomotive, the shell, some houses styles, some building styles), that are inherent of yacek style, so have we to keep the themes in our work? And if not, should we have this theme in our work? (without reproduce his painting of course)

Sorry if my question looks evident for someone, but I prefere understand the contest at 100% before going on

Old 12 December 2008   #23
question

wahtb is the theme ? fantasy or free theme using the style of the artis jerka

Old 12 December 2008   #24
question

It says in the web page that the inspiration must be surrealist , dosent say is free work ,
so the image theme is surrealism not any kind of work , so what happends if i do not make a surrelaist theme?

Old 12 December 2008   #25
moose write We do not want recreations of Jacek's work, what we're looking for is work that has similar colors and shapes.

but in the inspiration theme in the web page says surrealism , so if we do the shapes and colors and dont have any surrealism? i think that will be wrong? dont it?

Old 12 December 2008   #26
Originally Posted by Mucus: I just have a question before going on my composition...hard to tell...in fact I'm asking myself, where is the line between reproduction and personal work?

I mean, there is recurrent themes, forms (the waves, the locomotive, the shell, some houses styles, some building styles), that are inherent of yacek style, so have we to keep the themes in our work? And if not, should we have this theme in our work? (without reproduce his painting of course)

Sorry if my question looks evident for someone, but I prefere understand the contest at 100% before going on

I assure you, the line is still blurry to me Even after all the mods answers...

Old 12 December 2008   #27
please answer

moose write We do not want recreations of Jacek's work, what we're looking for is work that has similar colors and shapes.

but in the inspiration theme in the web page says surrealism , so if we do the shapes and colors and dont have any surrealism? i think that will be wrong? dont it?

Old 12 December 2008   #28
Originally Posted by Mucus: I just have a question before going on my composition...hard to tell...in fact I'm asking myself, where is the line between reproduction and personal work?

If a piece looks the same as something already painted it's a reproduction.

Old 12 December 2008   #29
Originally Posted by smiljan66: It says in the web page that the inspiration must be surrealist , dosent say is free work ,
so the image theme is surrealism not any kind of work , so what happends if i do not make a surrelaist theme?

If the judges don't think it's surrealist enough, you won't win. We don't try to make a public spectacle out of artists we just won't give you prizes

Old 12 December 2008   #30
last queion for me

Can we use bump map and displacement map in my materials , oviously wil have the amient oclussion map in my lghthneess map ut in that mateia can i se displacement and ump mapping?
thanks

reply share thread