Faq

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Untitled Document
REPLY TO THREAD

Old 12 December 2008   #1
Faq

Why must entrants be members of CGTalk or CGSociety?

We need to be able to contact all entrants -- we have one registration system. This also means that all competition entrants are covered by the same set of Terms and Conditions.

Do I have to submit an image in the 2560 x 1600 size?

Yes.

What if I want to do a different aspect image?

You can fill it out to 2560 x 1600 with black borders.

Why do entrants have to be 18 or older?

Prizes include travel packages that need to be sent to a person 18 years or older. There are also restrictions on minors entering competitions in some countries, so it’s only fair to apply the same age restriction to the whole world.

Are there any work in progress uploads?

No. This is not like a CGChallenge. There are no work in progress requirements. All you have to do is upload your entry before the deadline of February 10th 2009.

Can NVIDIA use my art for marketing without asking me?

No. NVIDIA can only use your art as part of gallery, wallpaper or other collections of similar images with your full credits attached. If NVIDIA want to use your work in some other way they will have to contact you directly to get your permission.

Do I still own my entry?

Yes. The copyright to your image is yours. The only uses Ballistic and NVIDIA have right to are those outlined in the rules.

Why must entrants grant Ballistic Media and sponsor (NVIDIA) first right to publish their submitted work in any media?

NVIDIA are the sole sponsors of this competition and have requested this to prevent any unscruplus competitor trying to exploit entrants work. We agree that it would not be fair to let some competitor benefit from NVIDIA’s sponsorship of this competition. This is why we agreed to this restriction in running this competition – it’s fair.

What image file size is best?

Try to keep images under 2MB. Compressing them with something other than Photoshop will help, as will using a lower compression setting - there is no need for 100% quality when compressing JPEG files.

Twitter: salmonmoose

Last edited by salmonmoose : 12 December 2008 at 01:49 AM.

Old 12 December 2008   #2
Dear GC society!

Is it allowed to work on a 2D image instead of 3D rendering?

Kamen Anev

Old 12 December 2008   #3
Originally Posted by salmonmoose:
Are there any work in progress uploads?

No. This is not like a CGChallenge. There are no work in progress requirements. All you have to do is upload your entry before the deadline of March 10th 2008.

March or February? This will make a huge different for folks entered Steampunk... I guess it is just a paste from previous challenge. Thanks.

Old 12 December 2008   #4
Originally Posted by JurajMolcak: March or February? This will make a huge different for folks entered Steampunk... I guess it is just a paste from previous challenge. Thanks.

Heh - yep, it's a copy paste job - from a nvart that didn't end in march either Yes, it ends Feb 10th

Old 12 December 2008   #5
Originally Posted by kamcsat: Dear GC society!

Is it allowed to work on a 2D image instead of 3D rendering?

Kamen Anev

yes - 2D is fine

Old 12 December 2008   #6
Question

Does it need to look like it was made by Jacek Yerka himself? Not only in terms of color / materials but also the shapes / modeling?

Beautiful contest this one.

Thank you!

tumblr ░░░░ facebook

Old 12 December 2008   #7
Quote: Does it need to look like it was made by Jacek Yerka himself? Not only in terms of color / materials but also the shapes / modeling?

Same.

Can we submit a work done in both 3D and 2D, i mean doing the big architectural stuff in 3D and then paint over to refine details or add textures to the image/doing a strong compositing work... How much are we free with the used medium ?

Can we add character(s)/animal(s) (detailed or not) to our scenery or is it environnement only ?

Last edited by sonicstrawbery : 12 December 2008 at 01:09 PM.

Old 12 December 2008   #8
Hi my name is shkelzen kernaja i like to enter for the challenger i am 17 yers old in the 10/01/09 i am going to be 18 years old, do you think i can enter my image after 10 january.

thanks you.

Old 12 December 2008   #9
Question

Sae question as aboves... does it`s allowed to create his own style but use the techniques and colors of Jacek? I mean does I have to have the same architectural style of the buildings as he have? Or can I design techy skyscrapes as far as they meet the "ambient diffusion" look and colors?

M.

Old 12 December 2008   #10
Originally Posted by xeni: Hi my name is shkelzen kernaja i like to enter for the challenger i am 17 yers old in the 10/01/09 i am going to be 18 years old, do you think i can enter my image after 10 january.

thanks you.

Hi,

You can enter your image after birthsday and its ok isnt(you can spend more time to increase quality of your image) ? You dont have to show work in progress before.
staszek@staszekmarek.com

Last edited by Staszek : 12 December 2008 at 07:53 PM.

Old 12 December 2008   #11
Hey,first,thanks for such a great challenge!I would like to know though,where will the discussion be held off?I mean i don't see any threads in the NVArt - Surreal forum section except FAQ so far.

Old 12 December 2008   #12
Hi,

If you want to discuss about general stuff you can prbably on contest root site:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...86&page=1&pp=15

or if you have questions, here at FAQ.

If you wnat to discuss about images you have to wait for eneterants or you can be first one and for sure discussions will start
staszek@staszekmarek.com

Old 12 December 2008   #13
Similar question to some of the others...

Are these images supposed to be 3d/2d recreations of his paintings, or, compositions that we create which pay homage to things found in the art of Jacek, or, do we just use his art style and create something completely on our own that just emulates this actual painting style?

Old 12 December 2008   #14
Originally Posted by mdlebson: Similar question to some of the others...

Are these images supposed to be 3d/2d recreations of his paintings, or, compositions that we create which pay homage to things found in the art of Jacek, or, do we just use his art style and create something completely on our own that just emulates this actual painting style?

thanks to Staszek

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...86&page=2&pp=15

<
E - L - E - M - E - N - T - A - L >

Old 12 December 2008   #15
Hello all!

Well I got questions which are not technical at all, so I hope it's alright to post it here:

1. Why did you choose to make a "final entry only" contest instead of a work in progress area?
2. Is that possible for people who wish to share their work and are looking for advices to create a work in progress thread?
3. Finally, I'm really surprised that Yacek Yerka is not part of the judges, but will him have a word to say on winners?

So this is not question about creation, but rather for my curiosity (hope it's ok...)
By the way, big thank to you for organize a so original contest!

reply share thread