Steampunk Myths and Legends Entry: Will Beck

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2008
Steampunk Myths and Legends Entry: Will Beck

Will Beck is entered in the "Steampunk Myths and Legends" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Steampunk Battle of Camlann

12 December 2008
Concept / pre-visualization: Steampunk Battle of Camlann

These are an overview of the design notes which were to help me out with this project:

Steampunk Battle of Camlann – King Arthur vs. Sir Mordred

19th Century style Industrial/Victorian King Arthur
Realm of Logres is like the British Empire but more European in feel.

Armies and combat are based on a continutation of the chivalric code of fighting (challenges/jousts and so on) but because of industrialisation there are now massive armies and casualties are high among the lighter armoured squires and men-at-arms. Artillery is restricted to siege warfare. Zeppelins belong to individual mad scientists like Merlin (see below).

Knights are armoured enough to withstand a bullet to the head or chest but usually begin battle inside 'Chargers' – tank-like machines that have replaced their warhorses. These are crewed by the knight and one or two squires and are decorated with the heraldry of the knight. When the machines are battered and useless the knights will fight on foot.

Squires/men-at-arms are less well armoured but will usually have a gasmask, helmet and a rifle/bayonet with a short sword or falchion.

Where in the legends you have reference to anything mystical or magical in the steampunk world I replace that by something pseudo-scientific. So Nimue, the Lady of the Lake, who gives King Arthur Excalibur and its magical scabbard in this steampunk world would be a Captain Nemo-like scientist who creates useful weaponry and equipment in her submarine-laboratory. Merlin could be a Wellsian time-travelling scientist which could explain all his fore-knowledge. Both Merlin (and later Arthur) would be put into cryogenic stasis by Nimue.

I'm going to create the classic scene where King Arthur confronts Sir Mordred at Camlann. Arthur is armed with his spear (called Ron in the book I read) and Mordred a sword and shield. It's at the end of the day and sunset is casting blood-red light across the dead knights on the battlefield.

This first post is my basic Arthurian Knight costume idea – a combination of Roman, mediaeval and 19th Century armour (Curassiers and Horse Guards) with a gas-mask built in (I imagine scientists (wizards) like Morgana la Fay aren't averse to using chemical warfare).

Last edited by EWillB : 12 December 2008 at 06:23 PM. Reason: More explanation

12 December 2008
Very cool concept. This is a great legend to work up. Wonderful sketch as well.

12 December 2008
Very nicely done Looking forward to more of your designs~

12 December 2008
Hi WillVery good start. That concept looks great.

Keep it up and god luck

12 December 2008
great design !

A

12 December 2008
Steampunk Battle of Camlann - rebel knight concept

Firstly many thanks, miketche, Solais, Ataulfo and Neubius! This is my first foray into CGSociety challenges but as it was Steampunk and Myths (two of my favourite things) it would be foolish to not have a go.

Rightyho, as I feel the Arthurian Knight is getting there as designs go, these are my thoughts on the rebel scum under Sir Mordred's leadership:

As they're basically the same but to distinguish them I wanted to subtly give them a more 'punky' look, more assymetric and spikey. They're not bandits though, they're still knights so they needed heraldry and well-maintained armour just a more individualistic, perverse attitude about them. I didn't want them to be too Germanic as that look would do nicely for the Saxon invaders of Arthurian legend so I wanted to maintain a Romano-Celtic feel. OK so that's Punk-Romano-Celtic-Victorian-Knights!

Any more feedback on all this madness is most welcome, it's not been easy to keep all the elements hanging together, there's two thousand years of military history being jumbled up after all!

Last edited by EWillB : 12 December 2008 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Trying to understand picture attachments rules.

12 December 2008
I get it now.

OK, I think I'm waiting for approval of my posts so I can add further attachments - I do have a picture to go with the above text and I'll check again tomorrow!

12 December 2008
wow nice concept! steampunkish Arthur

12 December 2008
Concept / pre-visualization: Steampunk Battle of Camlann (Rebel Knight)

Design for the general look of the rebel knights following Sir Mordred. A real mish-mash of influences, almost hanging together I hope.

12 December 2008
Update

Many thanks nash88!

I'm gradually getting the hang of this forum/competition now, do ignore my earlier confused postings.

I just noticed the rebel knight's feet look a bit odd but as it's a concept sketch I won't worry too much now, there's an actual picture composition done!

I'm in two minds about the format of the picture - portrait or landscape - I'll put up some sketches in the next day or so and any input would be appreciated. Most of the pictures I've seen of this event (NC Wyeth's and Arthur Rackham's for example) are traditional full-page book-illustration format with hardly any background save the setting sun. That's kinda what they went for in Excalibur the film too but obviously that was widescreen.

12 December 2008
Much better to portrait if no war scene in the background. Just like in the illustrations of NC Wyeth and Arthur Rackham, I've seen their artworks lately. Yeah and it's full-page illustration.

12 December 2008
This is a really cool concept! And the design Ideas strikes too!! can´t wait to see the scenery.

12 December 2008
hello!
This work is promosing some cool stuff!
I vote for the portrait, it seems better to me if there's no action around...and I wait to see more from you!

12 December 2008
I love your concept, i want to see more!

Thread Closed share thread