Steampunk Myths and Legends Entry: Jeff Zugale

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2008
Steampunk Myths and Legends Entry: Jeff Zugale

Jeff Zugale is entered in the "Steampunk Myths and Legends" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: The Tortoise and the Hare

11 November 2008
This should be fun!

12 December 2008
Concept / pre-visualization: Mr. A. Crabthwaite's Ingenious Land Transport

Getting a late start, but here's my first. I'm doing a version of the old fable "The Tortoise and The Hare."

12 December 2008
Funny sketch and nice details. Could be fun

Vincent

monstrorama
website
blog

12 December 2008
Nice concept Im glad to see someone else is doing a turtle too. Good luck!

12 December 2008
Concept / pre-visualization: Hare, First concept pass

Here's my first cut at the Hare. I thought of doing it as a complicated-looking, clanking monstrosity. My fiancee pointed out that it didnt really look much like a hare when I was finished, and so I realized I'd sort of gotten lost in the mechanical details, so I did one I like better.

12 December 2008
Concept / pre-visualization: Hare, Second concept pass

I redid the Hare drawing to look more like a hare, a bit leaner and curvier. I probably went overboard with detail, but it was fun and this is just to visualize the machine in my head. It will likely change a lot in the final rendering, but I will use some of the details here and there.

12 December 2008
Originally Posted by JeffZugale:
I redid the Hare drawing to look more like a hare, a bit leaner and curvier. I probably went overboard with detail, but it was fun and this is just to visualize the machine in my head. It will likely change a lot in the final rendering, but I will use some of the details here and there.

Nice details, very funny. Reminds me of burning man stuff. Very cool.

12 December 2008
Thanks mark, many of my friends are Burners!

I'm going to go for a little Bobby Chiu meets Currier & Ives for the final image. I hope it comes out as goofy and fun as I see in my head.

12 December 2008
Great concept and has a strong steampunk feel to it.

My Spectacular

01 January 2009
Work In Progress: Image Layout, Stage 1

Holidays are over, back to work!

WIP layout for the final painting. This is a rough blue pencil sketch, made a lot rougher by having to squash it to smaller than 150K. The original is on 9x12 Bristol board, and has a lot more subtle sketchy detail. You can probably see where I'm going with it, though.

I don't think I'll take this sketch much further on paper, because time is short and I need to get painting. This should serve as a good setup guide. I will probably move stuff around a bit, as I think the Hare is too close to the viewer. I'm not effectively showing the roadway or a crowd or anything, so it needs tweaking.

01 January 2009
Work In Progress: Progress 2

Here I'm cutting out the main components from the background in Photoshop. First the tortoise...

01 January 2009
Work In Progress: Progress 3

Well, this thing won't let me submit all my images that I'm doing for progress, so here's one of two layouts I'm looking at.

01 January 2009
Work In Progress: Progress 4

Here's the second, wider layout I'm thinking about. I think this might be a bit more expansive in terms of storytelling and atmosphere, but the downside is there's a LOT more painting involved. In this layout you can see a lot more of the crowd.

Since I only really have 9 days to whip this out, I'm thinking going with a big crowd scene might not be a good idea. The steampunk stuff has so much detail anyway...

Since I can't really submit everything I'm doing here, I'm putting it all up in my artblog: http://www.jeffzugale.com/artblog/ if you want to see every step.

01 January 2009
Wow, I love the designs. Very steampunk. Really cool stuff.

www.TerranovaArt.com

Thread Closed share thread