Steampunk Myths and Legends Entry: Mark David

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2008
Steampunk Myths and Legends Entry: Mark David

Mark David is entered in the "Steampunk Myths and Legends" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: The Steam-driven Waterskiing Duck

11 November 2008
Hi there!

good luck with this new challenge and waiting to see your progress and have a funny time

11 November 2008
Hey Mark,

I knew that you could not miss this challenge my friend!! This one can be really fun. Time to put the steamboat at full speed can't wait to see your first ideas. Good luck my friend and cheers!!

11 November 2008
all aboard!! the whole family is here! glad to see ya bro!
me totally agree with gonzalo! we're all gonna have some real fun time!
good luck bro!

11 November 2008
Hi MArk!!!HAppy to see you're in man!!!

11 November 2008
GonzaloGolpe
Hey Gonzalo buddy, thank you so much for the welcome

Ferx
Fernando buddy, thank you for being so quick to drop by. I'll be taking a keen interest in your entry

nsiz25
Hey Neville, great to see you here! I can't wait to see what kind of inspired imagery you drum up. Thanks for dropping by

OKMER
You just know this challenge is going to be impressive when we see your thread starting up. Thanks for the warm welcome buddy

11 November 2008
Concept / pre-visualization: The Steam-driven Waterskiing Duck

Way back in the far reaches of avian time, ducks were a brave and formidable race with a civilisation all their own. They didn't have a need - or ability - to fly, because humans hadn't learned to hunt them yet. Instead, ducks lived a life of sporty leisure and preferred to ski across lakes and ponds to get around.

The duck society was based on an island in the middle of the ocean, and from this humble origin they travelled across the globe in a giant steam-driven waterskiing duck. By this means they slowly colonised every corner of the world.

No one knows what led to the ducks' downfall. They were way too smart to get involved in sub-primes or credit default swaps. More likely, the rise of humans had something to do with it. My personal theory is, as humans learned to hunt ducks the ducks' charmed life changed for the worse and the birds taught themselves flight as a means to avoid the arrows and, much later, lead pellets fired from their human assailants.

The long great duck age came to an end, to be replaced by the era of humanity. But to this day, ducks can sometimes be seen waterskiing across ponds. If you're a little bit sneaky you can still find them doing it when the water is glassy-smooth and they don't think you're watching. That's how I managed to get these photographs.

As for the giant steam-driven water-skiing duck, no one knows what happened to it. In 1987 some amateur archeologists claimed to have found fossilized remains of such a craft on a hill-side in south-western Tasmania but when they allowed a hand-picked delegation of scientists to be rushed to the scene for verification the scientists claimed the object to be an overturned milk truck which had gone missing the night before.

The sad fact is, if you tell people about the steam-driven waterskiing duck these days they just won't believe you, which is why it has fallen into mythology.

My plan is to create a scene in 3D, showing off the steam-driven waterskiing duck at the height of duck civilisation. I'll probably get down to the pond and take some more photos too because I enjoy doing that. For those who might be interested, these shots were taken with a 400 mm lens at shutter speeds of 1000th to 1250th second.

As is so often the case, I'm grateful to Gunilla for giving me a little nudge of encouragement to enter this challenge. Many of my thoughts sent in my response to her message have filled out the history described above.

I hope to make this image colourful and believable and fun. But especially colourful. Because for some reason I keep seeing the same sepia and blue palettes cropping up all over these challenges. Come on folks, there are entire rainbows of possibility to be explored out there - tap those styluses in some of those unused swatches and see what kind of magic might happen

- Mark

11 November 2008
Hey Mark,

waterskiing steam ducks, this will be fun to watch - and as always I get a big smile in my face reading your posts. Wonderful to have you in!

-sabrina

11 November 2008
A waterskiing duck hu? This should be interesting. Ok, lets see what you can come up with. I'll be following.

11 November 2008
HeyHey Mark!
So glad you joined the force! Was looking up for your entry!
The Idea is, as usual, original and fun-bearing!
Looking forward to see your play with the water-skiing colorful docks!
Ps. Super sharp photos!!

11 November 2008
Hello Mark and good luck to you!
Personally i don`t think humans had anything to do with the demise of the ducks. The Mice clearly are the bad guys here. Cute little bastards sneaking around in the shadows and under ground. Scheming and Planing their evil world dominance. They are still in control they just let us think we are masters of the world. They are everywhere. We will all be marching around with Micky Mouse hats soon. Who else could be behind the financial breakdown these days. I ask you!
...Of course the Rats may have something to do with it too when i think of it.....

Per

11 November 2008
So, there you are!
I love your idea and as always I'm very impressed on how you manage to keep your work accurate in a both mytholigical, in this case, and scientific way. A lot of research goes into this, I'm sure.
I'll be hanging around for sure.

WIP: Anatomy

Demoreel

11 November 2008
Talking

Mark friend ....... the one I wait for his entry waiting to see more mate

11 November 2008
Hey Mark More fun from you as usual

11 November 2008
ha ha great to see you Mark. Love the duck idea, I am partial to steampunk ducks :P

Thread Closed share thread