CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Steampunk; Myths and Legends - Image
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-14-2008, 02:25 AM   #61
salmonmoose
Moose Administrator

portfolio
Anton Fletcher
Gluing captions to cats
Ballistic Media
Australia

Send a message via ICQ to salmonmoose Send a message via AIM to salmonmoose Send a message via MSN to salmonmoose Send a message via Yahoo to salmonmoose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selina42
Hiya! Just wondering about a couple of things - do you mean 'steampunk' to describe only the typically used Victorian period visual style - or could a more 1940s steampunk visual style be adopted for example?

Could we use stories from films and modern day literature as well as our own stories, fairy tales and legends?

If someone has already picked a story that we want to use, but we have a totally different concept from that story is that acceptable and not considered copying?

Thank you!

Steam really wasn't in use much by the 1940's - I'm guessing you're talking more of a Fallout/Bioshock type setting which whilst rather cool, is stretching it a little too much I feel.

I'm personally fairly flexible with what constitutes a myth or a legend - but I'd suggest that it has to be at least a story that is part of a particular culture's psyche - so things like Alice in Wonderland, or Wizard of Oz are ok, but maybe The Matrix is not such a good idea.

There is no problem with more than one person choosing the same concept, just don't pinch their ideas.

Twitter: salmonmoose

Old 11-14-2008, 02:38 AM   #62
AdamTSC
art is spiritual

portfolio
Adam T.S. Cohen
Canada

(Hopefully quick) question:

-Are there any constraints on the use of photographic elements in our works? (I am thinking particularly as regards matte-paintings)

-If we are allowed, will it have an negative effect on judging?

I'm not talking about passing off photographic elements as painted or rendered, but use where we explicitly show it.

Thanks!
-A

Old 11-14-2008, 04:55 AM   #63
bonestructure
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Ron Leming
writer, artist
Burnt Popcorn Graphics
Amarillo, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to bonestructure
I've never entered a challenge before, but I feel I want to enter this one. My big handicap is that the rules say I have to enter a sketch or previz. But the thing is, I never do sketches or previz. Can I just do the WIP stuff? I'm not fond of doing that, but I can do it. I just don't do sketches. Things come together as I go from a concept in my head, but the modeling and scene determine what goes in.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:17 AM   #64
cabaal

portfolio
Boeur Xavier
Project Manager
b71
Namur, Belgium

Somebody find a solution about the team manager ?

Old 11-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #65
dboydesign
Veteran

portfolio
Daniel Røsnes
3D Artist/VFX
Storyline Studios AS
Lillestrøm, Norway

Quote:
cabaal: Somebody find a solution about the team manager ?

I havent heard a thing yet about the team manager..
So if anyone got this working please tell us

Old 11-14-2008, 10:25 AM   #66
ahmedadel0077
AAM3D

portfolio
Ahmed Adel Mahmoud
Freelancing
Cairo, Egypt

Send a message via Yahoo to ahmedadel0077
team or single

hi , i have a question about the video challenge , i am going to make all the cg work by myself , but a friend of mine might do the sound for the trailer , does this mean that my entry will be judged as a team work ?? or still single work , since i did all the cg alone , thanks

Old 11-14-2008, 12:05 PM   #67
Legacy40k
Frequenter

Andrew Hilton-Wigg
Canada

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonestructure
I've never entered a challenge before, but I feel I want to enter this one. My big handicap is that the rules say I have to enter a sketch or previz. But the thing is, I never do sketches or previz. Can I just do the WIP stuff? I'm not fond of doing that, but I can do it. I just don't do sketches. Things come together as I go from a concept in my head, but the modeling and scene determine what goes in.

I believe that showing WIP shots of what you are working on as you go along is suitable since I'm sure many 3D modelers don't sketch out their works in 2D first.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:27 PM   #68
authentic
hair loser

portfolio
vincent guibert
rendering,lighting,FX supervisor
angouleme, France

the view entries now works but when you click on a picture in the challenge page of somebody you have a 404 not found error

Vincent

monstrorama
website
blog

Old 11-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #69
Legacy40k
Frequenter

Andrew Hilton-Wigg
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistcg
hi , i have a question about the video challenge , i am going to make all the cg work by myself , but a friend of mine might do the sound for the trailer , does this mean that my entry will be judged as a team work ?? or still single work , since i did all the cg alone , thanks

My personal thoughts on this.

If you use music of his that isn't remixed for your trailer or was created for the trailer, then he would be a group contributer. Also, if he does the mixing of the audio tracks for the trailer, he would be a contributer.

If you have a friend that has a band with a CD and they give you permission to use one of the CD tracks for your trailer and you did any final audio mixing. Then I would say that no, you would not have to count it as a group, but you should give them credit.

That's just my thoughts on it however.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:18 PM   #70
JurajMolcak
Jr.

portfolio
Juraj Molcak
visual artist
Slovakia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy40k
My personal thoughts on this.

If you use music of his that isn't remixed for your trailer or was created for the trailer, then he would be a group contributer. Also, if he does the mixing of the audio tracks for the trailer, he would be a contributer.

If you have a friend that has a band with a CD and they give you permission to use one of the CD tracks for your trailer and you did any final audio mixing. Then I would say that no, you would not have to count it as a group, but you should give them credit.

That's just my thoughts on it however.

Something like this was answered already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonmoose
Team entries refer to people making visual elements for videos.

It is clear, since I can have friend who is mixing the sfx and music to produce some interesting tracks, and somehow, one of his tracks is perfectly working with my video Yeah, a bit speculative...

Old 11-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #71
ahmedadel0077
AAM3D

portfolio
Ahmed Adel Mahmoud
Freelancing
Cairo, Egypt

Send a message via Yahoo to ahmedadel0077
last challenge

i had a look at Grzegorz Jonkajtys video , the alien relationship challenge winner , and i saw the credits , it says

created by : Grzegorz Jonkajtys
music by : Adam Skorupa

so from that i think , the sound doesn't count , still need a final answer from the admins , so please give me feedback , and thanks

Old 11-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #72
JurajMolcak
Jr.

portfolio
Juraj Molcak
visual artist
Slovakia

Hi,

Any chance we can manage our Challenge Page? I had to post double of my most recent wip because of typo mistake and would like to delete the previous one. Just to make it not confusing for future viewers. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #73
JTD
You want to live forever?

portfolio
John Thomas Delaney
Business Analyst
Bedford, VA, USA

Myths and legends, yeah, but can we use fables? I have this great idea for The Tortoise and the Hare, with a twist!

Edit: "I'm personally fairly flexible with what constitutes a myth or a legend - but I'd suggest that it has to be at least a story that is part of a particular culture's psyche - so things like Alice in Wonderland, or Wizard of Oz are ok, but maybe The Matrix is not such a good idea." - salmonmoose

Okay, so I might be borderline but definitely worth a shot.

Last edited by JTD : 11-14-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #74
DragonSFX
Architectural Design
portfolio
Levi Stepanov
3D Architectural Viz - Freelance
Jerusalem, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistcg
i had a look at Grzegorz Jonkajtys video , the alien relationship challenge winner , and i saw the credits , it says

created by : Grzegorz Jonkajtys
music by : Adam Skorupa

so from that i think , the sound doesn't count , still need a final answer from the admins , so please give me feedback , and thanks

this was answered on page 2 and about 2 or 3 post above this one again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxon
Question:

If I enter into the Individual Video challenge, can I still use music from my friend for the video?

<salmonmoose said>

As long as they are credited yes.

Team entries refer to people making visual elements for videos.

---- enjoy L

Old 11-14-2008, 07:00 PM   #75
CodeNothing
Arrr!

portfolio
Adam Richards
Concept Artist/ Illustrator
Double Helix
Ontario, USA

quick question.

probably a silly one at that sense this is a CG forum. But I saw you have a category for "Modeling" and a category for "Sculpture" which if were talking strictly digital art sounds redundant....

Is it possible to enter an image of a traditional sculpture as a character piece?

I'm guessing not, but i have a friend who would probably compete if that was the case. Actualy.... now that i think about it, would it be possible to use a photo of a traditional sculpture, and incorperate it into a CG environment/matte background and have that count as a 2D entery?

Thanks!

reply share thread