Frequently Asked Questions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 11 November 2008   #16
Originally Posted by Falcor_: Hi i want to know is the video challenge open for any styles? Also 2D art and just basic effect editors? With the needed steampunk art??

Can i draw 2D art and just create basic effects over it and set it as a video entry?

Yes, video is open to any styles - I'd love to see some 2D animations show up

Twitter: salmonmoose

Old 11 November 2008   #17
Originally Posted by andreas-V: Is Softimage offering a XSI licence for the Challenge?
The e-mail notification after entering the challenge included a link, but it is the one for the Uplift challenge, the licence is no longer valid.

THanks

Urgh - no, sorry, no XSI this time around I'll fix the emails.

Old 11 November 2008   #18
Originally Posted by MrHobby: Does the entry have to be an actual steampunk story (myth, legend) or can we make up our own ancient story of something steampunk?

Basicaly are we restricted to actual known myths/legends?

[edit by leigh]

Sorry guys but there was a bit of confusion here, so this edit is going to contradict what was previously posted by Anton.

Yes, you are restricted to actual known mythology and legends. However, this isn't really such a heinous restriction, considering the vast wealth of mythology we have to draw from, from all over the world.

You're even free to mix different mythologies. So, for example, you could have the Greek god Zeus battling the Aztec god Quetzalcoatl, or Norse Thor enjoying pints of mead with Roman Liber. Feel free to mix and match different traditions to create your own new epic imagery.

The fun lies in taking what are essentially quite ancient stories and creating cool, anachronistic imagery of these ancient figures in the more modern Steampunk milieu.

Sorry for any previous confusion and I hope this clarifies the matter.

Last edited by leigh : 11 November 2008 at 01:20 PM.

Old 11 November 2008   #19
Originally Posted by maxon: Question:

If I enter into the Individual Video challenge, can I still use music from my friend for the video?

As long as they are credited yes.

Team entries refer to people making visual elements for videos.

Old 11 November 2008   #20
Originally Posted by IdanI: I love the theme its awesome, i just have one question, can we make our entry based on Historic context rathar than a myth? What I mean is portray a historic war as a steampunk war but still keep some of the historic story board.

That's fine, I would deem a historic war as a "legend" of sorts.

I'd like to use this to remind people of our "no politics, no religion" rule. I understand that this challenge leads to many stories that are based on historical, and religious events, and that is OK - but any entries that could be deemed offensive by others won't be allowed. If you're unsure - it's probably best not to

Old 11 November 2008   #21
Originally Posted by SulaMoon: Sweeet challenge!

But with all this talk about 3-D, is there a 2D category still? Is it the image category?

There is no longer a 3D or 2D challenge, both Video and Still image are available to both.

Old 11 November 2008   #22
Originally Posted by MrHobby: I also have this question:
I'm entered in both categories and for the video category what are the exact stipulations?
Meaning in the uplift challenge the video section was a trailer theme.
The strange behavior challenge before that was a 8-10 sec animation (i i'm remembering correctly). So what are the, if any, boundries of the video entry?
Or can it be any stlye of animation, trailer or simple animation, involving a steampunk theme?

So long as it matches the theme, we don't care.

We usually suggest a shorter animation because we're aware that if a project is too ambitious, it will never get completed. Aim for 90-180 seconds, but if you can get your message across in 15, or need 5 minutes, you won't be penalized.

Old 11 November 2008   #23
Originally Posted by Grrrrrrr: I also wanna hear about this. And we can use ANY legend, because this seems vary vague? First thing that comes to thought are the greek legends, but i guess we are not limited to those.

So a bit of clarification is needed.

ANY myth or legend.

On a personal note, if you introduce me to a cool classic story I've not heard before, I'm going to be impressed

Old 11 November 2008   #24
Originally Posted by adib: Hi, nice CHALLENGE!
One Question: can I use one of my old models in this challenge or I mus do all new ones?

From the FAQ:

Q: Can I use Poser, Daz 3D or pre-fabricated models?

A: Yes. This is no different from using your own pre-built models or the parametric models now availble in most 3D systems. However you should add significant creative input to make the models and results unique?

We also allow your own pre-built models, however you should probably let people know where the models came from originally

Old 11 November 2008   #25
Just a quick question: on the Inspiration page you have text snippets of fictional stories involving Charles Babbage and Sherlock Holmes. Does that mean that we can find inspiration and themes from literature as well? I mean Sherlock Holmes is strictly speaking neither a myth nor a legend but a fictional character (and Charles Babbage was a very real historical person).

/Anders

Old 11 November 2008   #26
I have a question: on the character - can i use a mechanic with human issue on MashineFlash style?

Old 11 November 2008   #27
Originally Posted by salmonmoose: So long as it matches the theme, we don't care.

We usually suggest a shorter animation because we're aware that if a project is too ambitious, it will never get completed. Aim for 90-180 seconds, but if you can get your message across in 15, or need 5 minutes, you won't be penalized.

Thank you for replying to both questions.
Let the creativity begin!!

Peace Love & Light

Old 11 November 2008   #28
hi there

hi there , i am from Egypt , and i wanted to know ,
do u send prizes to Egypt ??

Old 11 November 2008   #29
Originally Posted by Cartesius: Just a quick question: on the Inspiration page you have text snippets of fictional stories involving Charles Babbage and Sherlock Holmes. Does that mean that we can find inspiration and themes from literature as well? I mean Sherlock Holmes is strictly speaking neither a myth nor a legend but a fictional character (and Charles Babbage was a very real historical person).

/Anders

Absolutely - see my earlier post. The overall idea behind the 'myths and legends' was to move it away from the typical steampunk setting, and time-period.

Old 11 November 2008   #30
Originally Posted by artistcg: hi there , i am from Egypt , and i wanted to know ,
do u send prizes to Egypt ??

We don't ship prizes anywhere - that is the responsibility of the sponsors. If they are unable to ship to you, it may be possible for you to find a third party to ship prizes to who can forward your prizes to you.

Also, keep in mind from the rules:

Any import taxes or duties on prizes must be paid by the prize winner. It is illegal for Ballistic Media or any of the sponsors to pay duties and taxes on behalf of a winner. Ballistic Media and sponsors will not make false valuation claims to assist winners from evading any applicable duties and taxes.

reply share thread