Steampunk Myths and Legends Entry: Nico Strobbe

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2008
Sweet sweet modeling mate...unusual kind of steampunk stuff, like your quadripod of the hcr, you have a interesting style

And, well, there are few other Belgians in the challenge, just that some of them don't work actually in Belgium... you are the third Belgian "nico" here
We're not so rare over here

11 November 2008
RageOfAges, thanks and yeah, nurbs, auwtch! But once knowing it, it is an unmissable tool in maya. This is the main reason i hate learning other modeling apps.

HungryRich101, thank you too! I learned a lot for compositing so adjusting shading and textures in post-production will be very flexible. So be sure this one will have texturing and dirt maps.

Goul, wow, didn't know there was another belgian in the challenge.
I hope this creature turns out as interesting as the walker. I'm glad steampunk has a broad variety of possible styles so i'll just try to create my own and go as far as possible.

cheers all

11 November 2008
Awesome amout of details I'm not quit sure how it moves, but i guess im gonna see that later on

Keep it up.

11 November 2008
Hey deje3D,

the leg had a way of moving like the arm. The first piston-part attached to the locomotive body part is like the shoulder, then you have the upper arm-part that also extends in length because it's a piston after all.
The last part is something else. It mainly is like a huge under-arm, but the difference is that it is build in 3 parts that extend by the huge pistons built into it. When i finish it i will show it so you can see how it exactly is build.
Intention is to be able to do any kind of movement with the arms.

cheers

11 November 2008
indeed very good job with the steampunk elements!

11 November 2008
Nico, another amazing piece. I'm excited to see how it develops.

The skinny parts of the legs look severely unstructurally sound, however. The steam tanks or whatever it is on the bottom part of the legs look like they weigh a lot, as does the "torso." Can you thicken the skinny parts up without hurting the design?

11 November 2008
Originally Posted by DizzyJ: Nico, another amazing piece. I'm excited to see how it develops.

The skinny parts of the legs look severely unstructurally sound, however. The steam tanks or whatever it is on the bottom part of the legs look like they weigh a lot, as does the "torso." Can you thicken the skinny parts up without hurting the design?

It's cause of the contrast i try to achieve. Steampunk and my variation on it, is all about the impossible. I think it will be like my walker with the small feet. Some don't like it but i think it's what it makes it what it is.
When it's starting to get posed you'll see this is not the only thing that will be way too impossible
But thanks for the comments

11 November 2008
Hey Nico!

Looking nice your speampunk and like others say before, allot of details you got there!
Can't wait to see for next update!

city of war
(stopped rip)

11 November 2008
Work In Progress: creation Of FrankAndSteam - Modeling progress III

Another update on the modeling for the main character. It is getting rather extremely detailed so i hope i can stop it anytime soon. I just keep adding and adding. Only parts that need adding right now it the lower leg. The other parts need some refinements to the current detail and i should do the foot. Then it's up to a hard part: the head.

Hope you like it.

And please, no comments on the impossibleness of certain parts.

11 November 2008
nice entry. Greate start,

Cool designs and modeling

good luck
staszek@staszekmarek.com

11 November 2008
good job man, those models looks great!

11 November 2008
great looking models. Can't wait to see this continue to evolve.

11 November 2008
it looks very good, congratulations!!!

11 November 2008
Work In Progress: Outdoor Building - Modeling part I

Hey all,

I got a little tired of the creature so i started on modeling something else for a change.
This is the house and steam power plant where the story will unfold. It will be used to create an outdoor scene where these buildings are located on a very thin rock surrounded by a huge pit.

The mood will be comic like and dramatic in lighting. This dark test is just for fun to try and see how well the surfaces keep their shapes. In the final scene the moon - that gives a light as wel - will be located at the back and therefore will give a nice backlighting. The lanterns will be very suitable to fill up the detail at the front.

Cheers

11 November 2008
An additional note:

The steam powered plant still needs some work to make it look more steam powered and less nuclear.
All buildings are still WIP. So i'm adding detail where i see fit cause it will loose a lot otherwise. These buildings won't end up in a close up. But i think it will be suitable for a medium close up at best. I believe the current size i used for the render is the max and with shaders and textures it should look just perfect.

I will try and do some work for the storyboard as well. I still have most things in my mind and change them as we go. But i think there should be some on paper.

cheers

Thread Closed share thread