Tim Winkelman's Daily Sketchbook: (From: CGTalk Daily Sketch Forum )

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 03 March 2009   #1
Tim Winkelman's Daily Sketchbook: (From: CGTalk Daily Sketch Forum )

Here is the first post for my daily sketches with the scorecard:

Old 03 March 2009   #2
The early work

Here are some of the first sketches I did in this forum:

1724 - concept art: Space Zoo

This was done in Painter, mainly with the charcoal brushes and then some digital watercolor om top.

1730 - Vertigo

Done in Painter with the scratchboard tool and flat color pen. It's Dr. Seuss on a unicycle.

The next 3 are test drawings for Manga Studio:

1732 - The Charge

1733 - Virus

1734 - Secret Wedding

Old 03 March 2009   #3
1735 - The Bill 45 min in Manga Studio

It's a mallard duck. Playing around with the Airbrushes and blur tools in Manga Studio here, just to see what they can do. I don't think I will ever really use this program to do anything in color.

1738 - The Lost Soul 45 min in Manga Studio

Getting some practice with the pen tools in Manga Studio because that is what I need to do. Plastic model kit skull used as a reference.

Old 07 July 2009   #4
1850 - The Red Knight

Painter 45 min.

Mostly playing with the airbrush.

Old 11 November 2009   #5
1968 - The Bad Man

Famous bad man Stagolee with a brand new stetson hat.

About 35 min in Painter. I drew this in gray and then spent a little extra time with image adjustments to get the sepia tone photo effect.

Old 11 November 2009   #6
1969 - The Night Visitors

50 min in Painter X.1

Old 11 November 2009   #7
1973 - The Wall

About 25 mins in Painter X.1 using the Artist's Oils brushes. I think I proved that I can make the same kind of muddy mess on the computer that I can with real oil paints.

Old 11 November 2009   #8
1974 - The Big Green

About 35 min in Painter X.1 using the Acrylic brushes.

Old 11 November 2009   #9
1975 - The Day the Wall Fell

About 45 min in Painter X.1.

Going all the way back to the battle of Jericho here. I guess we can call this mess a learning experience because it was mostly an unsuccessful attempt to use some brushes I don't normally use. Started with the guache brushes and had trouble because the opaque paint wanted to completely cover my sketch lines and most of the guache brushes lag so bad they are unusable. Then I tried digital watercolor and it was smearing the brown sketch lines all over. Finally, I just gave up and finished coloring with the digital airbrush.

This whole thing probably would have worked better if the line drawing layer was kept on top, but I don't think I want to work that way for these kind of quick sketches. Maybe it would be better for a longer painting.

Old 11 November 2009   #10
1977 - The Rowboat

30 min in Painter X.1 using the chalk brushes. Another experiment with unfamiliar brushes I can't control that might not be very good for quick sketching.

Old 11 November 2009   #11
1978 - Her name is Grace

40 min in X.1 using the Acrylic brushes. So far, these are some of my favorite brushes in Painter. Getting psychedelic here with Grace Slick and the Jefferson Airplane. We built this city on Rock and Roll!

I'm not completely happy with the paint on the figure here. I used the wet brushes too much because the transparent paint wouldn't hide all my sketch lines. More bold strokes with opaque paint would have been better. In future sketches, I think I will keep a copy of the sketch lines on the top layer so I can paint more aggresively without worrying about losing anything.

Old 11 November 2009   #12
1980 - Anime

About 50 min in Manga Studio EX 4. I tried to incorporate a bunch of weird japanese stuff into this drawing.

This was a test of drawing in color in Manga Studio. It is really better for black and white ink lines. I think that black lines would have helped this drawing, but I ran out of time while I was struggling with the color.

Old 11 November 2009   #13
1981 - Top of the Mountain

About 35 min in Painter X using the charcoal brushes. I think I like these a lot better than the chalk brushes I tried to use a few days ago. I'm not completely sure because I tried to go straight to color with the chalk and that usually doesn't work for me because I get the values wrong and end up with not enough contrast. I drew this one in gray and then went over the top with a colorize layer and a few other layer types.

Old 11 November 2009   #14
1982 - Two Worlds

About 30 min in Painter X using the Conte brushes for the gray version:

Another 20 min for color:

I went over the top with the digital airbrush using a colorize layer to add color, a multiply layer for some darker colors and shadows and a screen layer to make it glow.

This drawing was inspired by Wolfenstein and a few other recent games where a character goes into an alternate reality dimension.

Old 11 November 2009   #15
1983 - Firewalker

25 min in Painter X

Second attempt because the first was so terrible I started over. Lots of screen layers with the glow brush and digital airbrush. Scratchboard tool for flames.

reply share thread