Lady Medusa's Sketchbook

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2011
Lady Medusa's Sketchbook

Hello.
Here I will be posting sketches, consepts and eventually speedpaints, and maybe other things .

I made the following 4 consepts for a role-play game. Things didn't work out and no contract was signed so I doubt I'll get in any more trouble posting these here. I'd hate to see them go to waste.

Hippo:

I'm very pleased whit this hippo. I studied videos and pictures of hippos. Not happy with the legs though. He appears to have 3, but one of his hind-legs are supposed to be behind the other.

Swan:

I studied some pictures found on google of swans. Not all to happy whit it.

Black Mamba:

I feel like it's rushed. I'm happy wiht the mouth but not the rest :/ Studied videos and pictures of it and found it challengy to get the colour in the mouth right.

Lion

Not at all happy with it. But I'm posting it anyway.

Comments and critiques are quite welcome

Last edited by LadyMedusa : 02 February 2011 at 12:26 PM.

02 February 2011
The lion looks like it needs just a little more contrast by shading but the rest are just fine just so it can stand out off the page. Nice work.

03 March 2011
Thank you .

The creature for an upcoming piece.

This is just a really rough fleshed out sketch, just to get a bit more systematic feeling of how she's put together. I wanted to make something spider-like, but more human or wraith-like. I'm going to go whit her mouth closed.

For the DSF on the Consept art. Subject being "The Cutest Dragon".
Let me ask you guys one thing. Does stuff like this belong in a real portfolio?

Last edited by LadyMedusa : 03 March 2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Don't want to duble post.

04 April 2011
Made for the Daily Sketch Forum. I seem to be semi obsessed with spiders

I'll most probably abandon it.

04 April 2011
Hey LadyMedusa, You've got some great stuff here. (Love the hippo btw). With the spider queen, Maybe you should try a darker base color therefore the pinks and purples you're using will pop out a bit. If you want, maybe I can do a paintover to show you what i mean. Btw I'd love to see some of your rough work sketches, etc.

04 April 2011
I'd love to see paint-overs . Those usually help really well. But don't take any offence if I don't return to that project though.

I'll try to post more rough sketches.. this is the sketchbook after all

04 April 2011
Lol. None taken. I did a really rough paintover. Maybe this can get across what I was trying to explain.

04 April 2011
Oh my, that is really nice indeed
That really made her skin pop

04 April 2011

Made myself a new avatar today. Wanted to keep it really simple, but I still focusing on the hair.
I some times leave out noses when drawing for that comic-y style. I actually do have a really big nose . The plain blue background was mainly to make it more pleasant to work with. Looks well along my hair. Still took way long for a simple avatar though. 3-4 hours in Photoshop.

04 April 2011

This took too much time to what it was worth, but I'm posting it anyway. Trying to break the habit of not posting things I'm not all that content with.

Made for the DSG 1605 - Sick Monster at Conceptart.org

Photoshop CS5 + 4-5 hours

04 April 2011
new stuff. Keep em coming.

05 May 2011
Little Deep Sea Mermaid.

The little mermaid, deep sea edition. She's utterly obsessed with this prince she saw when she gazed upon the world above the sea and she sings the most beautiful tunes.

It took a bit long and I know it's full of flaws, but it was so fun drawing that it doesn't matter, and she did turn out charming. I'd still like to hear your comments and critiques though

Photoshop CS 4. 2-3 days on and off, probably around 5-6 hours.
Work in progress for the curious
I'm trying to make it a habit to save milestones, even for small, non-portfolio pieces like this one.

05 May 2011
LadyMedusa- This is a big THANK YOU!! I havent done art in weeks due to "down feelings" and loss of faith. This Mermaid piece did it. It makes me want to go back and redo a mermaid piece I did a while back. It will be dedicated to YOU. You've just saved my craft and most importantly my soul. I hope you get EVERYTHING you want in life. Thank you and never stop.

-Gary Eugene Bedell

I'll be redoing this one

Last edited by GaryBedell : 05 May 2011 at 02:23 PM.

05 May 2011
And thank you for continously coming back. That is really encoraging for me
I know exactly what kind of soul-wrecking art block you're talking about, and it feels great that I helped get you out of that. hehe, now I have that warm fuzzy feeling inside

Looking forwards to seeing your already great piece redone!

05 May 2011
Thumbs up

lol
I love that little deep sea mermaid, she is really cute.
I think overall it would help you if you pushed your values a little bit.
I also like your cutest dragon, it looks like a fat kitty with wings and tail.
I think it would be a good portfolio piece if you worked a bit more on it. Like add a multiply layer and work more the shadows to better show the form.

Thread Closed share thread