Sketchbook: Jerwilson (Wilstrong)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Sketchbook: Jerwilson (Wilstrong)

Hey everyone! I decided it's high time that I start sharing my work more than I have. This is important because 1) It will help me to network with other awesome artists & developers, 2) I will be able to get much needed critiques from awesome artists such as yourselves, 3) It will help me to get over that hesitancy I feel to share my work, and 4) Hopefully it will help me to thicken my hide a little, and be able to accept criticism as it comes, and use that criticism to get better and build myself up rather than letting it break me down.

Anyway, there will be much more to come in the future, but for now, have an image of a sexy witch!

Old 10 October 2012   #2
Digital Portrait Painting Studies

Digital Portrait study I did for practice while my brother worked on it for his Academy of Art University class assignment.

Looking back on it now, if I could revisit it, I would fix some of the anatomical issues I can see. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20, as they say!

The curse/blessing of being an artist is that if you are improving with each painting, then you will never be satisfied with your work, because as you finish each piece, you will see things that you learned in the process of completing that work--things which you would do differently if you had the chance to do it over again. But that's a good thing, because if you were constantly in love with each piece, then that would mean that you never learned anything in the process of its creation!

Just some thoughts I have each time I finish a study/project.

Another study I did for practice while my brother was doing his Academy of Art University class assignments.

We had this image posted on a screen on the other end of the room, while each of us painted (he did a pastel study while I was working digitally). It can be a real challenge to get the colors right when dealing with differences in lighting, etc. But it's a fun exercise!

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Digital Figure Study

Did this towards the beginning of August. I like to warm up for the day by doing some loose figure sketches before I get cracking on my projects. Although this was a very quick study, I thought it had some really neat things going on in it. The looseness is something I'm trying to let myself hold onto, instead of letting myself overwork everything.

For what it's worth, it's still just a study, but that's the point of studies, right?

For these studies, I just have a folder that I grab from really quickly, so unfortunately I don't have the attributions that I would like to have--if you know who the original artist was, let me know in and I'll edit to reflect it!

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Screenshot Studies: Overlander

I like to do do screenshot studies to explore new color schemes, painting techniques, etc. I've learned that it's a pretty neat way to relax and let myself experiment in ways that I'm typically too careful when I'm working on an "official illustration" for a client.

I like to do do screenshot studies to explore new color schemes, painting techniques, etc. I've learned that it's a pretty neat way to relax and let myself experiment in ways that I'm typically too careful when I'm working on an "official illustration" for a client.

Old 10 October 2012   #5
I do not Vant to suck your blood!

I wanted to try loosening up on this one more than usual. I still need to loosen up, I think!
Straight up digital painting this time.

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Screenshot Studies: Where the Wild Things Are

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Screenshot Studies: Independence Day

Old 10 October 2012   #8
Game of Thrones:

Pirates of the Caribbean:

The Last Samurai:

10,000 BC:

District 9:

Unknown Study:

Old 10 October 2012   #9
Digital Figure Study

Another digital figure study to warm up for the day. From the ingenious MJ Ranum:

http://mjranum-stock.deviantart.com/

I just looked through his stock gallery and couldn't find this particular one, but let me know exactly where and I'll edit to reflect that!

I feel like I was able to loosen up quite a bit while still conveying a fairly good idea of the pose, costume, and model.

I had so much fun with the previous day's warm up that I decided to do another pose from the same photoshoot.

Unfortunately, I got a little too carried away and lost that loose feeling that the previous one conveyed. Damn, I'm always struggling to keep from over-rendering things!

Old 10 October 2012   #10
Winged Thing

I did some sketches some time ago, and revisited those sketches in sculptris and Zbrush a few months ago. I decided to create an illustration from this little guy.

Old 10 October 2012   #11
Political Caricatures

Wanted to do a caricature of Paul Ryan after seeing his trademark smirk.

Caricature of John McCain I did a while ago for a digital illustration class

Old 10 October 2012   #12
That Time of Month Again

I wanted to do another illustration with a werewolf character, but this time in more of a routine, everyday situation. This one was entirely done in photoshop--no 3D models were harmed in the making of this image!

Old 10 October 2012   #13
Mourning Has Broken

An Illustration I did a couple of years ago for a digital illustration class.

Used stock by the magnanimous MJRanum as reference:

http://mjranum-stock.deviantart.com...r-J-16-77777959

Done entirely in photoshop.

Old 10 October 2012   #14
Confrontation

An Illustration I did a few years ago.

Dragon was modeled first in Zbrush, then used as reference for the illustration.

Old 10 October 2012   #15
Barcode Buddies 2D Assets

2D Assets Designed for Android App Barcode Buddies:

Thread Closed share thread