Help with 2D animation, please...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2003
Question Help with 2D animation, please...

Does anyone here know of a very simple, yet very good quality 2D animation program. Oh yeah, and it needs to be free.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited by Goatfuzz : 04 April 2004 at 04:20 AM.

03 March 2003
If all you're looking for is something to composite your images into an animation than any compositing package will do. Heck, anything that renders animations and accepts sequenced images will do (like Quicktime Pro). I know there's an open source compositing package out there, do a search for "open source compositing" or something.

03 March 2003
Hey,
check this out
tapptoons linetester

hope this helps

03 March 2003
Thanks for the help. I'll check out some compositing software...

03 March 2003
Good 2D animation program?

www.plasticanimationpaper.dk

It's called Plastic Animation Paper.

A brand new Shareware edition just released yesterday.

Enjoy!

03 March 2003

I was kinda hoping for a free program, but it looks fairly cheap. Thanks for the find!

03 March 2003
The small edition IS free!!

It's only if you really like it and use it, you are asked to pay 30 euro (30 dollars) for it. That's very cheap! And free is even more cheap!!!

It works perfectly - it's NOT a demo!

03 March 2003
Pap is the best your goping to get for free. I mean the software I used for my film is around 15000 USD, most serious classical animation programs are over 1000. PAP is really original and impressive. I only discovered it last week myself, funny it should now pop up here. Definitely going to try it out, I recommend you do too.

It looks better than toonboom and flash are, definitely more of a cassical animation program than those applications are.

03 March 2003
I'm very impressed with PAP. Perhaps my main problem with 2D animation is that I'm very spoiled by computers. Not being able to see your animation as it's progressing and being swamped in hundreds of pieces of paper drive me nuts. But just playing around with PAP it was quick and FUN. Perhaps thanks to this little app I can make 2D a more regular part of my work.

03 March 2003
Not being able to see your animation progress. Heck thing I love about classical animatino is how quick and easy I can see it progress compared to 3D, overall both productions systems are pretty equal in length, but when drawing I can flip five drawings at once while doingmy rough, and have a line est for something like a line test in 4 minutes, without any time spent on rigging or anything like that either. I don't include rendering in that as Cleanup and DIP add up to the time spent doing 3D rendering, often even longer.

03 March 2003
Well flipping can let you see how your frames animate in relation to each other, but you can never know exactly what it looks like until it's playing at the proper framerate.

Modeling and rigging is something you only have to do once for a character. Once you get past that you're free to animate, see your results as they'll actually be animated while you work and still be able to alter your animation without destroying previous work.

I can see your point though.

03 March 2003
So 'PAP' stands for 'Plastic Animation Paper' right?

03 March 2003
yes

03 March 2003
I'm just gonna hijack this thread for a while, since a have a similar question

I'm also interested in 2D animation. When I was a kid, I wanted to be an animator for Disney. Now the recent animatrix short films have really gotten me excited.

Does anyone know which softwares or techniques are commonly used in the business to make 2D film? or any software good in this deparment for that matter. info? links?

03 March 2003
I know a free 2d animation software. You need :

-YourBrain.lib
-eyes.exe
-pen.dll
-And another plugin : 1001sheet.dlo

reply share thread