Animating a car using 3ds max`s reactor

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2006
Thumbs up Animating a car using 3ds max`s reactor

Hey Iam new to these forums, just want to say hello all, and show you a animation test i made using the Reactor plugin in 3ds max, it is just a lot of "point to point" constraints and springs,

hope you like it, and feedback is welcome,

It was to big to Attach, so her is a link to my gallery

http://leif23.cgsociety.org/gallery/

10 October 2006
update

I have now updated my gallery with some more Reactor madness, enjoy.
Comments and crits are welcome.

Reactor is so much fun, all they need to make now is a way to simulate crumpling metal.....

Long live Reactor

Maybe i should take this tread to the 3ds max forum, any thoughts.

Last edited by LeifKE : 10 October 2006 at 07:53 PM. Reason: wrong forum?

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by leif23: I have now updated my gallery with some more Reactor madness, enjoy.
Comments and crits are welcome.

Reactor is so much fun, all they need to make now is a way to simulate crumpling metal.....

Long live Reactor

Maybe i should take this tread to the 3ds max forum, any thoughts.

Hey.. pretty impressive. Care to do some tutorials?
I really liked your SUV animation.

10 October 2006
i agree with azynkron, please please do some tutorials on this, theyre all excellent and suprisingly realistic, the cars in particular impress me as the movement looks spot on

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by leif23: Reactor is so much fun, all they need to make now is a way to simulate crumpling metal.....

I saw an image some time ago that had done that with the ClothFX (I think..).

10 October 2006
Hey

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words, to be honest with out reactor I`ll be nowhere when it comes to car animation, so I owe a lot to reactor.
I have never made a tutorial before, so i dont know where to begin, but i might be able to put togeter a rig you can play with, and if you have any question i be happy to answer them for you.

azynkron: The crumpling with clothfx, I have tryed it, it was okay for a singel part, but for a entire car it got my nowere, it was to "flabby"

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by leif23: Hey guys, thanks for the kind words, to be honest with out reactor I`ll be nowhere when it comes to car animation, so I owe a lot to reactor.
I have never made a tutorial before, so i dont know where to begin, but i might be able to put togeter a rig you can play with, and if you have any question i be happy to answer them for you.

azynkron: The crumpling with clothfx, I have tryed it, it was okay for a singel part, but for a entire car it got my nowere, it was to "flabby"

That'd be nice of you, sir
Some of your settings and how you go about it if you have the time.

I just remembered that I saw it and read that he'd done with a cloth modifier..
Didn't try it myself though.

10 October 2006
I maybe have some free time this weekend to put together a max scene for you, by the way

I use 3ds max 8, just so you know.

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by leif23: I maybe have some free time this weekend to put together a max scene for you, by the way

I use 3ds max 8, just so you know.

Cool
I use that as well.

10 October 2006
the suv rig

Hey her is the rig as promised, fire it up in max and open the reactor preview window.

I tryed to clarify everything in the name of the parts, if there is any questions i try to explane.

Hope you like it, and have a nice weekend all.
Attached Files
File Type: zip suv_rig.zip (130.4 KB, 506 views)

10 October 2006
thanks for sharing that. iŽll have a close look at it.

i did only a quick testrun...and the thing that i noticed is that the steering pretty much is completley free so the car does what the terrain tells it to do...
i guess if you add some sort of resetforce and damping to the orientation of the wheels to simulate a driver holding the steering wheel itŽll look much better.

or is it possible to superimpose some keyframed steering input on it?
if you could then wire those steering inputs via a look at constraint to a dummy moving along a path in front of the car....
...just some thoughts

10 October 2006
About the steering, you can stiffen the spring that controlls the steering and add more damping and the same goes for the suspention. And i dont know any way to add keyframes to make the rig steer, i just decrease or increase the length of the spring that control the steering to make it steer left or right. For instance if you want the car to steer left after 100frames of simulation you stopp the simulation, adjust the steering spring and start the simulation again at the 97th
frame so it has 3 frames to estimate the momentum (movement) it had. do this enough times and you will have a driving\steering car that react to its environment. Hope this make any sens to you.

Last edited by LeifKE : 10 October 2006 at 08:05 AM.

10 October 2006
That was really cool!

10 October 2006
great stuff,i was about to ask the same question, and saw that you already have answered it. thanks for sharing

10 October 2006
Thank you
I haven't had time to play around with it yet but I will.

Thread Closed share thread