CGTalk > Techniques > Animation
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #1
delusionalthomas

portfolio
USA

Musician looking to explore the craft

Hello, CGSociety! This is my first registration on a computer graphics forum, it's an art I'd like to learn more about and hopefully expand my knowledge on through discourse with the various individuals on this forum.

I'm a musician and producer currently working on some new projects and would love to learn whatever I can about the mechanics of computer graphics in any context, level, and width of perspective I'm able to create visuals for the projects of my friends and I. I'm sure that computer graphics is just as structured, exploratory, and nuanced as music and production as their own arts & sciences, so I figure I can maybe post a few videos with strong visual components and get feedback on the names of various techniques and effects to build my own understanding and connect with more talented visual artists through all this correspondence. I have rudimentary Photoshop knowledge and have dabbled in Adobe After Effects, but any program recommendations are encouraged ^_^

Here are a few music videos with central visual effects that I want to learn more about - if any of you watch these and recognize a possible technique that I could learn more about, feel free to leave feedback. I'm aware that I'm at the precipice of a vast amount of knowledge, so I'm mainly looking for places to start. Possible programs, plugins, etc. that I can use as starting points are all great

The Internet - "Cocaine"

The stretching effect at 2:30 on the child's face and eyes is intriguing, as are the other various "trippy" effects throughout the video - sections that look like one video signal being warped by stretching and color-contrasted against the main shot somewhat like layer burns, exposure, difference, etc. in Photoshop.

Jeremiah Jae - "Money And Food"

The visual effect that dominates this video - the introduction of new shots but somehow splattering the pixels of the previous stillframe across it is incredibly interesting to me. If anyone can direct me to resources on visual techniques similar to this one, even if not close to identical, I'd be incredibly appreciative. This sort of glitch-psychedelia shares a lot in common with the music I'm working on right now and it'd be a great tool to have in the arsenal.

Underachievers - "Herb Shuttles"

There's a lot of obvious filters and overlays being automated across the timeline of the video somehow to animate and phase through different textures and illustrations - anything related to ideas in this video would be fantastic - i.e. bubble overlay at 0:47, intro text, animated illustration.

Ab-Soul - "Pineal Gland"

I'm particularly interested in the flashing effect, as if there are interlocking gates of automation turning the video on/off in a rhythm between two different shots.

Flying Lotus - "See Thru 2 U" / "Hunger" / "Getting There"

Lastly and in form with the rest of these videos, there's a great deal that I'm interested in going on aesthetically here - I'm sure the still life effect with one moving component is something vastly beyond my current resources and capabilities, so I'm really mostly wondering about ways to get the tape reel vintage filtered effect especially in regards to the tape shuttering/interruption at places like 2:35.

Thank you for your time, I hope to become a more frequent member here to explore what the realm of computer graphics encompasses

Old 11-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #2
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread