Animating flips

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
Animating flips

Hey all,
I'm animating a character doing karate style kicks/flips in the the air. The character's rig has a main controller on the ground, that all limb controllers are parented/constrained to. My question is - when the character goes up in the air should I animate from the main control or should I animate from the waist controller and the individual limb controllers. I've tried the latter way and I've noticed that the curves in the graph editor get really messy with all the twisting and flipping. I know the most important thing is what's on the screen, but is there an advantage of doing it one way over the other?

Old 10 October 2013   #2
A CG-Root rig would be better for aerial acrobatics over the ground-shadow rig you have. You could insert another control object (located at the CG), link all limb & waist controls to it, and link the new control object to the main ground control. Use this new control object to rotate entire character in the air... you can then animate the limbs as necessary.

Also see this article:

Gamasutra - Center of Mass

Last edited by Archangel35757 : 10 October 2013 at 08:11 PM.

Old 10 October 2013   #3
Hi toolrush,

I'd also check your rotation order on the controls. If you switch your rotation manipulator to show gimbal rotations (hold down "e" hotkey and left click on a viewport to get the pop up). and then rotate each axis, you can see what axis follows what.

If you want to change the rotation order, select your control, open up your attribute editor, and under the control node (not the shape node) under Transform Attributes there is a "rotate order" where you can change the "xyz" values.

first letter will be the one that affects nothing.
second letter affects the first letter.
third letter affects them all.

If you set this properly, your graph editor curves will be much cleaner =)

Old 10 October 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread