need help in animating a character pulling a rope

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
need help in animating a character pulling a rope

Hi there,

I'm new in here so I hope you can guide me if I make any mistake in posting.

I'm using MAYA 2013. I want to animate a character pulling a rope that tied to a heavy object. The object will pulled up as the character pull the rope, the rope also have to interact with a pulley in between the character and the object.

I don't have any idea how to make it works. I've used the nHair system but it couldn't work as I want to. The rope is hard to control and it not interact with the pulley.

I hope any of you can help me a.s.a.p. thanks!!!

*here I provided you the image of my basic animation setup. I hope it may help in my poor explanation.

09 September 2013
Okay first a piece of advice. A very frustrating piece of advice. Back up. If your just starting animation, don't jump strait into characters. Do a bouncing ball. After that, make a character jump. Do a few good walk cycles. Then try something with weight like this.

If I'm misinterpreting you, than your best bet is to rig the rope, and pose it. It may be nessicary to pose it every frame or two. Best of luck

09 September 2013
Hi!

I agree with the previous writer. But I want to add that animation often times is just a fake Make it look good. There´s no need that it works correctly. So, just fake the pulley. Just animate not one, but a few "ropes". It should be much easier to make your character pull on one rope and the heavy box or what ever is pulled by another rope. This way you only have to worry about animating the end of the first rope which is pulled by the character. Use deformers to bend the ropes around the pulley. Something like that. Hope that helps

09 September 2013
Thanks

thank for the reply guys. I make the rope as ncloth and dynamic constraint it with the heavy object... it not achieved as what I want, but at least it suit the main purpose.

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread