HumanIK Hip Effector broken

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
HumanIK Hip Effector broken

I've been doing some animation recently and setting up the animations for a game project recently. I was just about to start a walk animation when I noticed something very crippling. The Hip effector of my HumanIK, which I used to shift the weight of the character's hips, no longer works as it's supposed to. Instead of shifting the hips of my character it now for some reason rotates and moves the ENTIRE rig/mesh, as if it's a root joint. I checked my graph editor and while I see the lines of its animation in the frames before it, it seems to have mysteriously plateaued at a recent point. I can manipulate the individual points, all of the frames for the area of time I'm looking at seemed to be locked in a single line. No matter what I seem to do, using things such as the rotate tool make more than 1 axis move in the graph editor while it makes the entire mesh move along with it.

Thankfully, my previous keyframes for it are in tact, however that really screws me over now that I can't control the hips. In a walking animation, this is vital. I had done 3 animations with it prior to this and the hip effector was working fine at the time.

Has anyone ever encountered this? How can I get my hip control working again?

08 August 2013
Could be a couple of reason's honestly. Do you happen to be able to post a copy of the file so perhaps we can take a look at it? If not possible a video or screencap so we can better diagnose the issue? There's literally a plethora of possibilities.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by moneytakea: Could be a couple of reason's honestly. Do you happen to be able to post a copy of the file so perhaps we can take a look at it? If not possible a video or screencap so we can better diagnose the issue? There's literally a plethora of possibilities.

If you don't mind, please take a look at the file. I've uploaded it to my Cloud.

http://cl.ly/1p0u003b2939

08 August 2013
Hey SuperSparkPlug,

Im not sure if Im clear on the issue here because on my system it is working perfectly fine. The hip box is NOT rotating the mesh at all or acting as a root. Have you tried opening the file on another machine? Try deleting your maya prefs because it seems as if it may be a local issue.

08 August 2013
Huh? I moved my preferences away to make it go to default and it suddenly seems to work now! Thank you!

I wonder though, what in the preferences could have caused it to do that? I wasn't touching my preferences beforehand.

Last edited by SuperSparkplug : 08 August 2013 at 07:44 PM.

08 August 2013
Well Maya has a mind of its own so it can happen by it self sometimes. Whenever Maya works properly it means the god's have favored you that day. It seems as if you have not been giving your weekly sacrifice ! Lol. No but on the serious side it happens by it self sometimes and thats just one of the things we do to fix it. Im so glad I was able to help

08 August 2013
Thanks a lot! I appreciate it.

If it's not too much to ask though, I have one last minor question to ask. When keying the HIK, it seems that everything moves and keys itself. When stuff moves on its own, I can fix that with a Euler Filter in the Graph Editor. However, if I key any of the joints I move, that key also happens on every other part of the HIK rig, regardless of if I touched it or not, which causes a few animation issues. Is there a way to make it so that every joint/effector does not key itself when I only move one thing?

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread