Wheels animation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Question Wheels animation

Hello

Im using Maya 2012

I need some tips here, Im doing an animation about a space exploration robot and the robot has wheels, I wonder if there any way I can work around the whole "add 360 for every wheel turn" thing (1st turn 360, 2nd turn 720, etc) I mean, do I have to do that or is there an easier way to this problem?

Also how can I do a suddent stop, I mean when you have a character that moves from point A to point B if you mark point B directly when you play back the animation the character decelerates before reaching point B, what I normaly do is mark pass point B so when the character reaches point B its at full speed, any tip for that?

Kind regards
Rayco Santana.

Last edited by theplanet : 09 September 2012 at 08:51 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #2
You should look into Set Driven Key.
From my understanding of it you could set it up in such a way that when ever you move the root controller of the robot it will proportionally (ie: for every 10 in translate z the wheels will turn 360 degrees) rotate the wheels.

Just an idea

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by YashaP: You should look into Set Driven Key.
From my understanding of it you could set it up in such a way that when ever you move the root controller of the robot it will proportionally (ie: for every 10 in translate z the wheels will turn 360 degrees) rotate the wheels.

Just an idea

Thank you!

I searched on google set driven key tutorials and found this:Creating a rotating wheel animation in maya using a set driven key
This is perfect! without your idea I would never figured out I needed a set driven key.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Originally Posted by theplanet: Also how can I do a suddent stop, I mean when you have a character that moves from point A to point B if you mark point B directly when you play back the animation the character decelerates before reaching point B, what I normaly do is mark pass point B so when the character reaches point B its at full speed, any tip for that?

Any tip for this?

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Originally Posted by theplanet: Any tip for this?

Im just the ideas man

Old 09 September 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread