Is acting valuable?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2005
I was talking to my professor about whether martial arts and dance were helpful and he said yes, it's not only helpful but almost necessary, as was acting. He recommended that I take both martial arts and acting classes as both would help tremendously for an animator.

04 April 2005
Thats what I love about animation....especialy cgi...what ever your working on you become a authority in.....I meen the man who did golum is now a expert in the workings of the human face.....on how the muscle and fat interact...

04 April 2005
Golum was a team effort, but it was Bay Rait who did the facial research, modelling in Mirai and setup in Maya. For two years he studied the work of Dr. Paul Ekman, the guy who rereleased Darwin's "Expression of Emotions in man and Animals". Look him up, he mapped and codified the human face. Much modern hyper realistic facial animation is based on this system I believe.

Its funny how this thread has been dug up from the archives. My last post was 25 November 2003!

paul

04 April 2005
Nov 03? That's funny!
Maybe you should give us an update on how did it go with the acting tutor. Was it a good idea? any feedback from students? Did the students become better animators?

04 April 2005
Nice avatar paul.......didnt the actor thing work out.....I havnt heard anythin in the studio

04 April 2005
Quote:
Ulysse31 originally wrote:
Nov 03? That's funny!
Maybe you should give us an update on how did it go with the acting tutor. Was it a good idea? any feedback from students? Did the students become better animators?

I guess the jury is still out on this one...this year we didn't bring in a traditional "actor" as such, but we have looked as Ed Hooks' work and tried to adopt many of his acting principles.
We also got advice on how to use reference and fillmed footage to aid the animation. I'm going to give this some more though this Summer, although when you have a tight budget, would you rather bring in an actor or an animator? My friend John Lee is both, and his talk last Friday was fantastic.

Yeah the avatar is a painting of a rat creature i want to make a film about one day. painting is my first love..

04 April 2005
I never new that......why did you go to cgi if you love painting.....

Im so anoyed with myself for missing Lee's talk I hear it was VERY useful.....

Last edited by Vivec : 04 April 2005 at 03:34 PM.

04 April 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread