Modo - Luxology's 3d App revealed at Sig

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2003
Re: Re: more more more

Quote: Originally posted by takkun
I could sit here all night writing about this stuff.

we will not stop you. So you were pretty impressed with the luxology app, any idea when they will have a product ready to sell? What about the rest of the tools, will they be showing more luxology technology tomorrow, or are there future products... still in the future?

07 July 2003
Talking nice

takkun, MacroForm and Rounder provide tools that mimics what's found in Alias Studio Tools and other NURBS modeling program.

For instance, imagine you want to model a callculator or any solid object, now if the calculator profile was not straight but have lower and upper areas then doing this is very simple with macroform or Alias, you just draw the profile from the side view and you can draw other profile to confirm the model from the top view or front view, now the side profile does two things, it slices your object based on carveture (if you started with a simple box with no segements at all) and then it either stretches or scales your box to match the profile, depends on which one you choose, don't worry about the buttom face cause it wont be touched. Macroform is filled with tools like these that will let you model almost anything with fraction of the time it does in another application or any other way.

As for Rounder, all I can say is OUCH, I use alias studio tools allot, and one of the biggest tools I love over there is rounding tools. you'll have to see this on LW to beielve it, it's not customizable like Alias but it's still great.

http://www.richardbrak.net/Rounder/index.html

Richard done a great job with this plugin, he is very talented

anyway, like I said didn't want to spoil the fun.

I3D

07 July 2003
Quote: we will not stop you. So you were pretty impressed with the luxology app, any idea when they will have a product ready to sell?
Yes I was impressed by the Luxology app, after all the rumours and speculations and doom and gloom over the last two years, it's great to finally know what the hell those guys are working on. They said that Modo will come out later this year and since the program looked almost totally complete, they probably will.
Quote: What about the rest of the tools, will they be showing more luxology technology tomorrow, or are there future products... still in the future?
Lux doesn't have a booth so they probably won't be releasing more info at Sig this year. It's funny, they gave out a lot of free prizes at the end of the night and the top prize was that three winners would be taken backstage to see the other programs that Lux is working on and will get to hear Lux's plans on what direction they're going to go. I wondered if those three guys had to sign an NDA?

Last edited by takkun : 07 July 2003 at 07:15 PM.

07 July 2003
And what would we call Newtek's new modeler?...

07 July 2003
Quasi-modo?

07 July 2003
I3D, no I can't say that they showed a tool like Metaform, but he only had time to show a handful of tools from what seemed to be hundreds of tools so I really can't say. Most of the tools seem to be copies of Lightwave tools (for instance there was a bandsaw tool)

07 July 2003
either way man it's still great to have modo, and thanks for your info

looking forword to Q4

I3D

07 July 2003
Hello takkun,

thanks for your posts...i'm very excited with this Modo stuff...do they have Nurbs in it? or any spline system?

thanks

07 July 2003
Nope, he didn't demo any Nurbs or splines. Modo is a sub-d/polygon modeler like Lightwave.

07 July 2003
mmmm ther are at least cardinal splines in LW modeler....hope they have some kind of them no?

are they going to demo it again during Sigg or it was only yesterday?

07 July 2003
Gotta go to sleep now, I'll try to take lots of pictures of LW 8 stuff tomorrow and I'll post them here.

07 July 2003
Quote: Originally posted by richpr
Quasi-modo?

LOL!

Thanks for the news takkun. Modo sounds very interesting .

Regards,
Terry

07 July 2003
Quote: Originally posted by takkun
Gotta go to sleep now, I'll try to take lots of pictures of LW 8 stuff tomorrow and I'll post them here.

hrm...on my registration it says no cameras or recording media is permitted... very hrm... welp ill get to see lw8 up close so...no worries ^^
-Ami

07 July 2003
Nice to finally see what they were up to other than creating presets.

I like the name, it's almost Mojo or Frodo
or Ho ho. or Momo.

All kidding aside it looks promising especially if you're looking for yet another modeler.

07 July 2003
Thanx for your news, Takkun!!

seems this Siggraph edition shows apps going in great directions. I think both Lw[8] and Mode will be great apps indeed.

keep us updated!

Thread Closed share thread