Getting started with sculpting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 01 January 2004   #31
theres stuff you can get off of sculpt.com, i forget the name but i remember my friend from mcfarlane toys mentioning he got it there. i think its polystyrine or something like that. im not sure. The other opition I know of is silicone. You can buy it in tubes from the hardware store. Ive never casted myself, but he just took old plastic pepsi bottles, filled it with his sculpt and silicone, and then cut it in half once the silicone hardened. Im sure you can make more sense out of it with your past experience, but Ive been wanting to try that out too.

Old 01 January 2004   #32
i know its not especially about tutorials on sculpting

but anyways, these are cool sites, showing you what can be done!

njoy

http://www.studiooxmox.de

http://www.darkart.de

keep on posting your sculptures

to admin of cgtalk.com :

please consider to make a special section on maquettes and sculptures. makes it a lot easier than searching in the "mixed" one

thanks in advance

Old 02 February 2004   #33
Great thread. I used to do a lot of sculpting but usually on a larger scale. I liked using traditional water based clays because the materials are that much cheaper and you can start making things on a larger scale that won't get easily broken. Of course you have to find a kiln large enough to fire them if you take that route. I taught wheel pottery for a while so had access to all sorts of materials for experimentation.

These are around three feet long and crafted with quite a gritty clay (Which is more forgiving about airbubbles which have found their way into the piece).

http://www.tomclive.co.uk/images/cowpic.jpg
http://www.tomclive.co.uk/images/manonhorse.jpg

I have to say that physically crafting something can definitely help your overall knowledge of anatomy and how a person's put together. For accuracy using calipers to compare proportions is a major help when you don't have images and grids to directly refer to.

Old 04 April 2004   #34
is this dead ?

Old 04 April 2004   #35
I don't think so, I believe it's more of a resource and tips thread.
Post some sculpt pics and keep it alive!

Old 05 May 2004   #36
Hi there...

the Gnomon Workshop has 5 amazing sculpting DVD's... I watched 2 of them and there pretty cool!

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/

Its under the analog DVD's

Peace,
Dalaran AW

Old 06 June 2004   #37
I'm pretty new to cgtalk, and am completely new to this particular section. About sculpey, it doesn't have to be super expensive. Much like with food the more you buy in a package the less expensive it is, you can buy it in large bricks. The large bricks only come in two colors, white, and terra-cotta. However if you compare the price of the large bricks to the price of the small colored blocks(they sort of look like candy, good thing they're non-toxic) the savings are huge. I guess what I mean is, compare the price per ounce.

Sculpey stays really soft untill you bake it, the same goes for FIMO. There is a clay that air-dries available at hobby and art supply shops and sites(I forget the brand name) I avoid it like the plague, it dries really fast, as soon as you open the package it starts drying, I even tried putting it in zip-lock bags, and sucking all the air out through a straw, still it dried, I added water, and that was both good and bad, it did moisten to some extent but continued to dry, and the crummiest part was that it would crack and even get lumps while I was working with it...damp paper towels offerred little help as well. The stuff that air dries, I imagine, would be really good for either children's projects, or something that you're going to cast relatively quickly, but for modelling, and sculpting, even plain old children's modelling clay is a million times better than the stuff that air-dries.

The cool thing is, that you can mix colors with sculpey. So you can purchase the large bricks and then mix chunk of white with a bright or dark color(a little goes a lot farther than you would expect) and get a really nice pastel or neutral color, the terra-cotta and white, plus a bit of red, and a bit of yellow(experiment to get the right shade) and maybe even blue, plus some of the transparet(should say translucent but doesn't) would result in a really nice flesh tone.

At the art store, you'll find sculpey with shimmery colors, sure you could buy those, and by golly if you have the bucks, then my entire post is pointless. But I'm assuming you're an aspiring professional artist, which means you are currently a starving or at the very least, budget minded artist. So I'm going to give you a tip that the average male, or even average female who doesn't wear make-up wouldn't think of. Head to your local beauty supply. Here in the U.S. Sally beauty supply is the most wide spread but I'm sure there are stores with other names worldwide that sell basically the same products with varrying brands and packaging of products. Look for shimmer powder, read the label and make sure that the shimmer comes from mica and other minerals and not from acrylic or other plastics. Shimmer powders come in a huge assortment of colors, and all you would have to do is either blend a tiny bit(once again a little goes a long way) into your sculpey, or use a very soft brush to stroke a touch onto the parts of your unbaked model that you want to be shimmery.
A good tip for brushing the powder on, is to tip the little jar upside down then right side up and tap it before opening, then just dip the brush in the lid and tap it on the edge of the lid before brushing, you'll save tons of powder that way.

Another route entirely is to use the white or terra-cotta(whichever you can find in a large brick) to sculpt your entire model, then paint it using either a brush and Testor's(for example) model paint(think model kits). Or you could use an airbrush, and Testor's now makes and sells an airbrush set, that bears a striking resemblence to the airbrush sets you can buy from Copic to use with their markers. Heck if you're really careful, you could even use spray enamel(hardware store) by carefully masking off your areas, and allowing each section to dry thoroughly before moving on to a new one. Of course you should bake(or oven cure) the model before painting.

Good luck, and I hope I've been able to give you some ideas and options.

A super simple tutorial made entirely in Painter, I made it after someone was asking where to find a tutorial on drawing and shading lips...it's not photorealistic, but was a good opportunity for learning, on my part. Just to show that yes sometimes I may sound like a total Hermione, but by no means do I know it all.

Old 07 July 2004   #38

I can recommend www.moviefxmag.com they have the best sculpting tuts with an artist by the name of jordu schell. also check out schellstudio.com to be blown away. he is an insane sculptor. check out www.theclonefactory.com thats my buddy casey loves website. the shiflett board link that was posted here is the old version of the place. for all the newer updates from the artists go to www.theclubhouse1.net that place is good for model kit style peices. for 1:1 scale peices check out the monsterlab.com there is a msg board there. I hang out there ALOT and go by the user name Deitycreations. you can check out my site if you want atwww.deitycreations.net

if you want to do clay sketches then the club house is the place to go for info. pick up some super sculpey or chavant nsp soft or medium. you can also get some clay called wed em-217 water based clay. its the best clay I think. you can make maquettes with it. get issue one of moviefxmagazine to show you how to use the stuff. along with all other issues with jordu schell in them.

Last edited by Deitycreations : 11 November 2005 at 08:18 PM. Reason: old link

Old 07 July 2004   #39
Hey I just like to say thanks you guys for jumping on this topic, I always wanted to create study models for my 3D stuff, and it helps a great deal, especially if someone gives you a character and you have a drawing with no depth to it, clay modeling helps with some solutions, I was drawing or I should say re-drawing a character and the shots given didn't have a in depth basis to it, so I ended up re-designing the character, I'm still a rookie and hopefully
you'll get to see some basis of my stuff soon, being here on CG Talk has inspired me to take challenges and actually create stuff for critiques, now it's time for me to play catch up, thanks again guys!!!!

Old 07 July 2004   #40
Hey this is really helping alot, it helps for problem solving in 3D modeling, I'm going to experiment, I seen some of the tutorials for a basis, does anybody use foil underneath for a mold basis, I'll try it and see, (I'm not really planning to cook mine , but I'm quiet sure somebody will want it, I had to ghetto rig some tools from the dollar store and wal-mart, and may have to jack a dentist for his tools too) I going to experiment hardcore and see what I come up with, does anyone have gallery sites other than what's posted, ( I know it may seem cheesy but I'm going for some Hanna Barbeara crazieness, then probley produce some 3D models, of George Jetsons boss with a pistol, something crazy and funny as hell

Old 01 January 2005   #41
my little german cave troll [wip] tutorial...
http://www.sculpting.de/showthread....88&page=1&pp=15

Old 01 January 2005   #42
hi, guys! this site is very cool
http://www.monstermakers.com

Old 02 February 2005   #43
Check out this great sculpey tutorial at conceptart.org

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18287

Old 02 February 2005   #44
I have personally found clay modeling to be a great help in improving my understanding of the human body, especially the head. Now I am careful to put all the subtle details into my CG creations.

btw, i use terra cotta clay----it's cheap

Old 02 February 2005   #45
Another great resource for sculpting is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/1listSculpting/ which focuses on sculpting miniatures. There are some fanatastic sculpters there.

reply share thread