Topology research

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

01 January 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Lunatique
Oops, sorry about that. I had put a password on it to secure the directory to my short film, but I had put those images in that folder... I'll fix it.

hehe, cool, thanks man, I wonder why no one else said anything, hmmmmm

01 January 2003
That's because I just put the password on yesterday. It's fixed now.

01 January 2003
ummm, you sure its fixed, as I just tried: http://www.enchanted.prohosting.com...ogy-olddude.jpg

on two different comps and got the login box both times. It seams anything under /3d/promise/ just doesn't want to come out and play

01 January 2003
Doh!! Ok, it's definitely fixed now. I checked it. Sorry about that!!

01 January 2003
Well, for blendshape-based facial animation, all my experiences in the past year have proven to me that John Feather's and Bay Raitt's topologies below are approaches that work pretty well.

I can only suggest anyone who's trying to get a good layout to study these images, go and try to build a head and a few facial shapes to test them. Then, after you've reached a few problematic areas while modeling the shapes, take another look at these wires and start again :)

Also, here's my current head, altogether the third project where I had to do faces and shapes. Schedules did not allow me to model in more wrinkles, so that's the explanation for the lack of them...

01 January 2003
Oops, forgot the wireframe... :)

01 January 2003
Doh!! Ok, it's definitely fixed now. I checked it. Sorry about that!!

woohoo, yup that now works

O' and for what it's worth, not that I am in the same ballpark as Steven, hell don't even have a 3D job. But anyway here is my current WIP topology and a rendered output with temp textures, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cg_post1.jpg (28.8 KB, 4483 views)

01 January 2003
tonygib-- Hehehehe. You modelled her dimples?

01 January 2003
Talking Woohoo! Sticky!

Now all this handy info can't get lost! Let's pile some more in!

How about a few nifty links? Yeah, why not... my own head meshes aren't good enough yet to put up here, and if they were, it'd pretty much look like what other people have posted already, so here's some links.

Syomka's website
look in the WIP section for Anna and The Eye

The Human Head
That's really a very good one, discussing matters of modeling theory and how they relate to different methods of modeling... but it seems to be down now. Don't want to forget about it though, in case it comes back later!

Dave Komorowski, The Hobbit Guy
Great techniques in the head tutorial-- it's not a human head exactly, but the methods are darn useful. This is where I learned to make creases, yay!

In this forum, too, there is a thread that sounds like it might have some potential later, if Fallenswordsman ever finishes the eye-area tutorial he promised.

ThirdEye --help us out with some more good links, we know you've got em!!

And somebody convince phreaknasty to post his Cranium over here!

01 January 2003
tonygib-- Hehehehe. You modelled her dimples?

By dimples I assume you are talking about the indent on the side, bak a bit from the mouth. In which case yeah, I noticed that on some people you can get a bit of movement when they speak and with expressions, just look at Katie Holmes.

01 January 2003
ok ok i post some more links, you know i had them

http://news.cgland.com/index.html?c...=700000&start=0

Mirai videos by Martin Krol

http://www.secondreality.ch/

wiro's website, some good modeling tuts

http://www.cg-art.i12.com/pictures.html

Julian_J website, some inspiring works and wireframes

01 January 2003
Here are some new researches:

Here's a research on top of Phreaknasty's excellent topology:

Here's one on top of Steven's excellent topology:

And here's my latest base mesh, result from studying faces, and other people's mesh:

This one is just the base, but it'll should be a good road map for more detailed splits.

Last edited by Lunatique : 02 February 2003 at 04:05 PM.

01 January 2003
Cool! Great links guys, keep em coming!

I have a question now-- what about spirals?

I have noticed that many models end up with edges that run in a spiral shape up around the eye. I have several in my own head models right now, and I noticed Lunatique is doing something similar with his.

Is this okay, or should we try to make closed loops?

01 January 2003
The spiral in mine just came naturally when I start to trace the contour of the eye-socket and nose bridge. I think it's pretty natural. I don't see any practical reason to close the loops unless you have plans to break off certain parts of your face model and transfer it around a lot?

01 January 2003
Spirals versus edge loops, IMHO: you can easily add more detail to edge loops by beveling one of them, or by connecting a set of edge rings.
But if your edges are spiraling, it's quite hard to add more geometry. I've just had such a situation with the leg of a model here and it required many extra steps...

reply share thread