My model isn't quite 'there' yet.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 03 March 2014   #1
Smile My model isn't quite 'there' yet.

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if I could get some advice on how to move forward on my model.
Here are a few images of my current model:
http://imgur.com/a/iZo1r

My objective with the model is to create a folio piece that showcases most facets of modelling, animation and rigging capability. It really needs to wow. This accompanies sketches and design processes of this mech to create a rounded project piece.
Currently I have a model that would be appropriate for say, a 300mm height 3D printed model in terms of detail, but I'm just not sure how to create more bang for my buck moving forward.

For instance, should I be looking to increase the poly count to add more detail, or should I derive that detail from the normal map?

If this were your project, what actions would you take to move the model forward? I feel there is a tonne of work to be done on the textures (and I have posted over on that side already), but I feel in general the model just isn't quite 'there' yet (for rigging and animation). Thoughts?

I keep comparing my model to say the titanfall models and feel there is a gap there I need to close (to whatever degree).

Old 03 March 2014   #2
Take a look at these beautiful models by Vitaly Bulgarov for reference. Perhaps they'll give you some inspiration!

reply share thread