CGTalk > General Techniques > Modeling
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-22-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
figuare9
portfolio

Im looking for someone to try to make this "cuter" lol.

I'm a human modeler.. In fact, this is my first time trying to model a non human type creature. I'm trying to make a primary character for a video game and I'm trying to make him cute. I want to stay as close to the poly count of the base mesh as possible. The entire model is designed in quads, and would prefer to keep it that way.

Anyways, I'm curious if anyone here might have the artistic ability to try to make this model look more cute. I want his limbs to stay roughly the same, (without fingers, toes, etc) but his torso and head are definitely up for debate. Here's a picture of what I have..

I immediately knew I was getting into trouble when I started to make an alien type thing. Anyways, I suck at modeling things that aren't natural or normal to me.

If anyone here wouldn't mind helping me out, I'd appreciate it sooo much! I've uploaded the file to media fire so u can throw it in max.

.OBJ File
.MAX File

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me here. I can model humans all day long, but I'm stumped here because I don't really have a reference point, or the artistic ability to go outside of the box.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
piperpam27
portfolio
Pete
USA

IMO, the best way to do character design is with pencil and paper (or stylus and photoshop, if you prefer). It's a way quicker way to explore options than opening your 3D program and trying to design as you go.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:47 AM   #3
MasonDoran
uhh...
portfolio
Mason Doran
Digital Artist
Freelance
Wien, Austria

Send a message via ICQ to MasonDoran Send a message via Yahoo to MasonDoran
why should other people do the work for you? You only learn by doing it yourself, including the research on what makes something cute.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
figuare9
portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonDoran
why should other people do the work for you? You only learn by doing it yourself, including the research on what makes something cute.

I'm not looking for anyone do do my "work" for me. I'm looking for help from someone as advice. I won't be using their model at all. I'll be using it as a reference. I love people like you. Always jumping straight to the wrong assumption and coming off like an ......

Anyways. . I'm looking for my model to be made cuter yes.. but only because I cant exactly go to google and search for cute alien and find anything i like. I came here because I'm not very creative and lack the skill to model things that aren't natural. I'm trying to do my ""research" and learn by having an example. Which is why I came here in the first place. Cute 3d alien creatures with antennas aren't exactly filling up the internet these days. I was hoping someone might actually enjoy creating something like that. I only want to run it side by side and use it as a good starting point. I found pikmin which are kind of cute. but only kind of..

Old 03-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
Psyk0
Freelance chacha teacher

portfolio
Patrick Boisvert
3D / 2D Artist
Soldak Entertainment
Quebec, Canada

Send a message via MSN to Psyk0
Babies are not cute by accident, it's all about the proportions. I'm sure you can gather a bunch of references from Disney characters, as well as anime or japanese designs. Draw inspiration from those.

reply share thread